• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing fuel pump

thecozmo65

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting ready to replace my pump and I was wondering if there was any thing I need to do or any special procedures necessary when doing this on a 90 w/4.0l. Oh and by the way what is the flow rate for a stock pump?

Fuel pump can be done with the tank still in place. If you can get the rear end up and hang the axle you get a little more room. When you get ready to put it all back together use a little oil on the O-ring. That makes it a easier for the lock ring to move into place.

chris

A lift helps a lot. Be patient putting it back, because it can be difficult to seat the pickup in the bottom of the tank.

Make sure you use a brass or aluminum punch on the lock ring, to avoid sparks. Use a new O-ring if you can, and make sure it's not distorted under the flange of the sender. A little grease on the O-ring and the lock ring will ease installation. It can be pretty difficult initially to get all three ears of the lock ring engaged right, so be patient. An extra hand helps. Look at the lock ring, where the edges are tapered to engage the tabs in the tank. If those edges are rusty or blunt, you can refile them sharper, and it will also help.

Back