• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size torx bolt holding on throttle body? '89 I-6

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing the TPS and broke the top bolt off flush and the bottom one broke off deep inside...so I would like to take off the throttle body and drill and tap...not a happy camper.

Anyone one know what is the torx size bolt for the throttle body to detach it from the manifold? Just need know torx tool size...not bolt size...just to make it clear.

Also I might replace the crappy torx bolts that come with TPS with Allen bolts...does that make sense?

Thanks!

Last edited:
T-30 ish? I seem to recall that being useful number.

Given the choice, I'd just go get a set (K& & Lisle both turn out sets for reasonable prices) and save yourself the trips.

As I recall, those bolts are threaded 3/8"x16, so a low Filister head or a button head should work well. Not exactly OTS items, unless you know where to look. Try Quality Farm & Fleet, or similar...

5-90

Ok I purchased both a T-30 and T-40...just to play it safe. I used the T-40 for the throttle body bolts but it was a little loose...could be T-50. I'll go to Sears Monday with bolt in hand just for my own edification.

Was able to tap both holes for the TPS. What's strange is the original TPS torx machine screws were aluminum and I guessed fused with the throttle body. They broke and stripped very easily and know I know why!

The torx machine screws with the new TPS are steel. I didn't use the supplied torx machine screws as I didn't have a tap for that odd size...I'm still not sure what size they were but I think metric. Instead I went the local hardware store and picked up 10-32 button head steel machine screws.

Not sure if the new TPS will fix my racing idle problem but it was due as it has never been replaced...except for the recall 15 years ago.

Many thanks!

As it turns out...to remove the throttle body from the manifold you'll need a T-45 on
a 1989 I-6 Renix

Seems like I fixed the racing idle problem with the new TPS...I just have to adjust it.

But a bad TPS might not have been the problem as it seemed like the torx bolts holding on the throttle body weren't that tight as they were easily loosened with a T-40. Could have been just a loose a throttle body letting in extra air where the manifold meets the throttle body. Damn...I remember someone mentioned that recently too...should have checked.

Anyway I used Loctite to nail them down this time!

Hope I got it, but sometimes the idle will be fine for months and then start acting up!

Thanks for everyone’s help on this!

Back