• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the most respected upgrades, bumper to bumper

Wisardd1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ that is completely stock. I am an experienced Jeeper and have a well built YJ that has seen multiple trips to Johnson Valley, Fordyce Creek, Dinky Creek, Los Coyotes, amongst other difficult terrains. I know absolutely nothing about XJ's and don't want to go through the hit and miss like I did with my YJ. So, what I am asking is what are the premium, do it once upgrades that will make this XJ capable and Rock Ready, but maintaining daily user status. Thank you for any suggestions ahead of time. And remember, this is from bumper to bumper.

Wisardd1 said:
I have a 91 XJ that is completely stock. I am an experienced Jeeper and have a well built YJ that has seen multiple trips to Johnson Valley, Fordyce Creek, Dinky Creek, Los Coyotes, amongst other difficult terrains. I know absolutely nothing about XJ's and don't want to go through the hit and miss like I did with my YJ. So, what I am asking is what are the premium, do it once upgrades that will make this XJ capable and Rock Ready, but maintaining daily user status. Thank you for any suggestions ahead of time. And remember, this is from bumper to bumper.

Pandora's box has just been opened.

Since you are a neighbor, I'll recommend kindly a search first on what part of the suspension you are looking for.

As for a good build up, it really depends on how hard you want to go offroad. If I wanted something street/dirt-able I'd go National Springs in the rear, 4.5" coils up front, either a TnT long arm or RE drop brackets with adjustable control arms, high pinion 30 (if 33" and under) or a 44, high pinion 9" rear, lockers, beefed discs all of the way around, a 4:1 transfer case (Teralow/Stax/Atlas/Klune Underdrive), engine driven OBA, steering reinforcement at the axle (high steer) and mount, armor armor armor, etc.

If you are building up, or looking to build up an XJ, you might want to show up to one of the club meet and greets in Fullerton early next month. There are plenty of rigs there to check out and all sorts of different ideas and theories. Heck, if you see me in the neighborhood feel free to pull me over and discuss ideas, but I'm far from the expert.

No matter what you decide to do, research it first (this is a solid source of info) and make sure all of the different components work together well (some skids, drop brackets and rock rails won't work...).

I have thought about stripping my YJ for the project. It has 44's front and back, Discs all they around, Ox lockers, super 44 rear, 5.89s, 4:1, 35 inch MTR's, MORE Hi Steer, agr steering gear, etc. I don't even know what I could swap in. Feedback? I also want a new motor and tranny.

Last edited:
Wisardd1 said:
I have thought about stripping my YJ for the project. It has 44's front and back, Discs all they around, Ox lockers, super 44 rear, 5.89s, 4:1, 35 inch MTR's, MORE Hi Steer, agr steering gear, etc. I don't even know what I could swap in. Feedback?

Your 44's would swap with some fab skills. Spring perches on the rear are more narrow than on an XJ and the front of the XJ is coil, so it would need some work. Currie (where I'm headed next) has the jig to set it up, but you will pay for it (they've got to pay for the compound in our neighborhood, don'tcha know).

What year is your yj? What year XJ are you looking at? What type of 4:1 do you have? There is the 21 to 23 spline count that may affect your transfer case.

Many of the parts will swap over, some will not.

Here are some places and vendors to start with for suspension/driveline parts:
National Springs (leaf springs)- Santee
Rubicon Express - Rancho Cordova
TnT
Currie Enterprises - Anaheim
Deaver - Santa Ana
Orange County Driveline (custom drive shafts) - on Placentia across from Homedepot in Placentia/Anaheim

Transfer cases: same/similar to the yj

Axles:

Rawbrown (vendor here) - www.rawbrown.com
Currie Enterprises - Anaheim
Dynatrax - Huntington (I think)

Tires:

Depends on how much you lift. You can't stuff as big of a tire under an XJ without major trimming or a bigger lift than you can on a mildly lifted YJ.

the best upgrade - the one that gets you home at the end of the night and the one that attains your personal goals...

Wisardd1 said:
So, what I am asking is what are the premium, do it once upgrades that will make this XJ capable and Rock Ready, but maintaining daily user status.

Expand on your daily driver status... We each have our opinions when it comes to that.

I'm not going to touch on the Motor/Tranny - Two many variables there...

For the running gear here's my take on it:

HPD30 4.88's ARB/ Ford 8.8 4.88's & Detroit/ARB
SYE for the 231/242
A lift no larger than 6" [I like my RE 5.5]
TnT Customs Y - Link Long arm/belly pan
35's on beadlocks

The resoning behind all of this is simple. The HPD30 you already have, and it can handle 37's with Chromo shafts - depending on driver. The 8.8 is a plenty strong for a XJ on 35's - and they are easy to find & setup. A lift larger than 6" is just too tall for stock width axles - XJ's are top heavy. Drop Brackets are better than short arms - but in no way compare to the ride and flex that TnT's kit does...

Just my $.03...

-Will

IMO, the best upgrade would be to stick with the YJ. Add wheelbase where needed.

Dirk Pitt said:
IMO, the best upgrade would be to stick with the YJ. Add wheelbase where needed.

For a wheeler, I agree. Keep the XJ mild for onroad comfort.

Lawn Cher' said:
For a wheeler, I agree. Keep the XJ mild for onroad comfort.
X3

Why do you want to wheel the XJ? If you need room/comfort to take family to the Con, Fordyce, etc., then an XJ on 33's will do well with a mild build by adding rear 44 or 8.8, f&r lockers, rocker skids, RE 5.5" springs with either their drop brackets/CA's or TnT long arms.

If you have to scrap the YJ, your idea of swapping axles, TC, etc. is good. For the front 44, you can get brackets from Rubicon Express or fab your own (probably better). Then plate the frame, add Ridgco or LooseNuts bumpers, beef the steering box area with JKS plates.

What is your idea of daily status? What is your ratio of on and off road with your xj?

Get a little more specific and I'm sure we can give you better ideas of what to do.

Rev Den said:
BPE's and yellow paint on the axles are the best upgrade.

Rev

:D

agreed!

Back