• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff fluid change

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure if this belongs to this forum, but here we go...
Do I really open the covers when changing the differential fluid? I was at NAPA today and saw a nice suction gun that I can use for that.
My seals don't leak and I really don't see any reason to buy new gaskets etc. Any opinions?
Thanks
Boris

Alienspecimen said:
I am not sure if this belongs to this forum, but here we go...
Do I really open the covers when changing the differential fluid? I was at NAPA today and saw a nice suction gun that I can use for that.
My seals don't leak and I really don't see any reason to buy new gaskets etc. Any opinions?
Thanks
Boris

You could suck it out, but then you wouldn't notice if there were a bunch of metal shavings in there, or a broken/cracked tooth on the ring gear, etc. I say take the cover off. When you put it back on, use RTV instead of a gasket. Just follow the instructions on the back.
Billy

PS - Yes, correct forum ;)

If you want to take that much time it will work, but you won't remove all of the old lube and you can't inspect the gears etc.

Back