• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for Old Man - Injector Cleaner?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Old Man,

You recommend BG44K as the best injector cleaner. Do you use the 3 part treatment, or the 44K only? In looking for BG44K, I called a shop (Car-X) and they do the 3 part treatment for $120.00. I My 4.0 is running too rich and loading up at idle, and the warmer the ambient temperature, the worse the loading up. So Car X tells me that dirty injectors usually cause a lean condition, the opposite of running to rich. That contradicts what others have said, but I still wonder if it's worth the money to try running a can of BG44K through the gas tank. My Jeep has 225,000 miles, mostly rural mail route miles, so there are thousands of hours of idle, or near idle running on this engine, and I have never run any injector cleaner through it. Ran fine until recently. So, what is your opinion on the 44K? Does it work well without using the 3 part treatment?

Thanks,
Neal

I took his advise....you can buy the can buy itself for around 25-30.00.

Seemed to help on my rig. It can't hurt it thats for sure...but $120.00 for a 3 stage deal is way over the top.

I just do the can. If that doesn't do it, you probably have a different problem.

On the topic of BG44k, I haven't used it and haven't seen it around in a while. The other day, a co-worker explained this is because its not legal for sale in California due to emissions crap and thats why you don't see it here. Could any one confirm if this is really true (should I buy a case of it in Arizona)? And, how does it compare to products like SeaFoam?

I would be surprised, since it is a treatment, not a long term additive. I will check with BG.

BG makes some darn good stuff... I've ran the '3 part' treatment through my XJ - And while it did not make a noticeable difference [no problems to begin with] It did seem to 'smooth' the idle out...

The 3 part treatment is:

BG44k - Gas tank
Throttle body cleaner - Pop off your air tube and spray [ie: carb cleaner]
Injector cleaner - This is too corrosive to dump into your tank IIRC, It is placed in a pressurized container [equal to the fuel pressure] and the stock fuel pump is disconected [relay/fuse]. Then it is connected to the fuel rail test port, and the engine is started...

-Will

bajacalal said:
On the topic of BG44k, I haven't used it and haven't seen it around in a while. The other day, a co-worker explained this is because its not legal for sale in California due to emissions crap and thats why you don't see it here. Could any one confirm if this is really true (should I buy a case of it in Arizona)? And, how does it compare to products like SeaFoam?

It's legal in CA.
I buy mine from Mark's Volvo in Chatsworth. The only place in LA I could find it. They said they sell TONS of cans to guys like us. They only use BG stuff for their Volvo service.

I HAVE seen seafoam leaving the shelves of the local chains though. I tried it. Didn't do anything but produce silly amount of smoke...which I presume was the seafoam.

I did what Old man said, took a bore scope look see on all 3 of my cars before and after BG44K.

Results?

1989 Cherokee 4.0 with 141K miles that sat for 3 years - Wow. Total clean job AND performance boost...but I did so much work to it I don't know if it was the BG or me.

2001 Chevy Impala w/98K hard city miles -Very noticable performance AND milage improvement.

2003 Ram Hemi w/30K - Same as the Impala.

I'm sold on this stuff...the only additive I've EVER used that I could see and feel working.

The BG44K is in the gas tank now. Bought it at a Buick dealership for $19.82 including sales tax. After pouring it in the tank with a fillup, I drove it 20 miles home. It's very cold here tonight(upper teens), so I can't tell anything yet. I'll put another hundred miles (5.5 hours) on it tomorrow. Sure hope it helps.

Back