• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4X4 Conversion Plans, need confirmation

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
OK, i have a 96 4.0L AW4 2WD. Ive wanted to convert for a while, but being that I had an embarrasing experience today involving a hill I want to do this next.

What I guess im looking for is a 1991 or up cherokee AW4 and NP 231 with d30

Is there anything else I should look for instead, I know I need shifter, and driveshafts.

thanks

Jesse

noresttill said:
OK, i have a 96 4.0L AW4 2WD. Ive wanted to convert for a while, but being that I had an embarrasing experience today involving a hill I want to do this next.

What I guess im looking for is a 1991 or up cherokee AW4 and NP 231 with d30

Is there anything else I should look for instead, I know I need shifter, and driveshafts.

thanks

Jesse

if you have a complete running parts rig you will have everything you will need. might need to get new on some of it but you wil lat least have everything you would need

92 and up on the front axle to avoid the vac disco D30's.

BgGrnXJ said:
if i'm not mistaken isn't 92 the last year of the reverse rotation d30?
This is incorrect. 1999 was (see post above).

I may be in the minority on this, but I think the vacuum disconnect axle is fine and has the added feature that your front drive shaft can be disconnected on the highway. Meaning drive shaft misalignment do to high lifts (greater than 3"?) won't cause vibration. The UCA mount on the passenger side is significantly stronger than the thin metal counter part on the non-disconnect axle. the stamped steel UCA's tend to bend under extreme axle flexing. However, if you intend to modify the D30 by adding Warn disconnect hubs, or install high strength axles, I've read the the non-disconnect axle is easier to make those conversions.
The only problems I've had with my vacuum disconnect is the harness pulling loose at the axle at max droop (I have 6" lift). I extended the vacuum lines, and have not had further problems. I've also had one of the plastic tubes chafe through where the vacuum harness goes over the transfer case. Extra wrapping solved that problem.
My .02

xjbubba said:
I may be in the minority on this, but I think the vacuum disconnect axle is fine and has the added feature that your front drive shaft can be disconnected on the highway. Meaning drive shaft misalignment do to high lifts (greater than 3"?) won't cause vibration. The UCA mount on the passenger side is significantly stronger than the thin metal counter part on the non-disconnect axle. the stamped steel UCA's tend to bend under extreme axle flexing. However, if you intend to modify the D30 by adding Warn disconnect hubs, or install high strength axles, I've read the the non-disconnect axle is easier to make those conversions.
The only problems I've had with my vacuum disconnect is the harness pulling loose at the axle at max droop (I have 6" lift). I extended the vacuum lines, and have not had further problems. I've also had one of the plastic tubes chafe through where the vacuum harness goes over the transfer case. Extra wrapping solved that problem.
My .02

If you have ever had to climb under your rig in the snow or mud to fix a vacuum disco that has failed, or ever had to replace two (expensive) cast aluminum shift forks that have broken, you may not like the disconnect axles so much anymore. :D

It's not that I'm in love with the vacuum disconnect. In fact, i'm in the process of building a high pinion D44 to replace mine. It's just that I think it has some good traits. Like most of the "stuff", it has its vulnerabilities that need to be addressed to make it reliable. I've experienced slogging through deep snow without incident--but my vacuum harness is longer than stock and physically strapped to the axle housing. Could be heavy mud running would still pull it loose. Haven't done any real mud running.
But can't argue that the location of the vacuum motor isn't vulnerable to snagging. I certainly can identify with climbing under your rig in snow or mud. Like I said, vacuum disconnect has its good points and it certainly has its bad points.

Back