• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm sure this has been asked!

MG_43

NAXJA Forum User
But I can't find where.
I do a lot of night driving, (the light in the heater control area of the dash) is out and I've been told you have to take half the dash apart just to change the bulb. I was wondering if that is true or if someone knows the simplest way to do it.
92 XJ. TIA

For the moment, I'm assuming pre-97. If it's 97+, I know nothing. "Half the dash" is a bit much. You need to remove the plastic bezel that covers the switches, instrument cluster, etc. this is held on by several screws that you will see if you look at it from below, and by some snaps that you cannot see, at the far right edge by the radio and heater. If it is a pre-95 the rest is easy. You remove that bezel (it flexes a little), pulling it out straight at the right edge, and under it you will see the heater control unit held on by a couple of screws. The bulb is a little "grain-of-wheat" bulb in a plastic holder inserted into the back of the unit. It's a fragile bayonet mount, with little plastic tabs that are ridiculously easy to break. If you break it, or if someone before has done so, you'll need to put it back on with tape or something. It will fall right out otherwise.

If it's a 95 or 96, you'll find it nearly impossible to get the bezel off without breaking it, owing to the fatter steering column. You pretty much have to remove the plastic jacket of the steering column to do this without breaking it, and even then it's a stretch. After a couple of radios, a cluster replacement, and a switch repair or two or three, I got tired of doing this on my 95, so I just went ahead and broke it. The crack, right above the steering column, is a small price to pay on a vehicle which would flood from the rust holes in the roof if there weren't bigger ones in the floor.

I have a 95, steering with airbags. Is it difficult to get the bezel out? Yes. Have I broken it during the 6+ times I have taken it out to do various things- no. You just have to get the steering wheel low as possible, remove the plastic jackets of the column and take the combination switch's plug out. It takes finesse, not force to slip it over the column.

Personally, I found the lighted a/c heater panel is bright and distracting for night driving (I know by feel where the positions are anyway.) So I disabled the bulb.

Mambeu said:
Heh. Thanks for posting this; I had just assumed that there's no light for that area.

I once thought the very same thing, till I tried relocating the heater controls and found the light, dangling behind the control box, with a blown bulb and broken bayonet tabs.

My climate control light was out too. Didn't bother me. But it did seem to annoy anybody riding in my Jeep. :laugh3:

I took the dash apart to wire up a factory clock that I picked up from the junkyard (I've taken apart my dash many times w/o breaking the bezel).

Anyway, I got the dash all put back together. And what do you know? The climate control light works again! And I didn't do a thing to it.

xjohnnyc said:
My climate control light was out too. Didn't bother me. But it did seem to annoy anybody riding in my Jeep. :laugh3:

I took the dash apart to wire up a factory clock that I picked up from the junkyard (I've taken apart my dash many times w/o breaking the bezel).

Anyway, I got the dash all put back together. And what do you know? The climate control light works again! And I didn't do a thing to it.
So the fix is to install a junkyard clock? :D :D

Kejtar said:
So the fix is to install a junkyard clock? :D :D
Yup. :laugh3: I guess my post WAS totally irrelevant. :D

Matthew Currie said:
If it's a 95 or 96, you'll find it nearly impossible to get the bezel off without breaking it, owing to the fatter steering column. You pretty much have to remove the plastic jacket of the steering column to do this without breaking it, and even then it's a stretch.

+1. I've never broken the bezel (after taking off the plastic steering wheel column jacket), but I have broken the brittle plastic of the defroster switch by dragging the bezel over it under tension.

fizassist said:
+1. I've never broken the bezel (after taking off the plastic steering wheel column jacket), but I have broken the brittle plastic of the defroster switch by dragging the bezel over it under tension.

Yeah, I did that too. That's one of the reasons I decided on purpose to break the bezel to make it more flexible. I really did break it on purpose. I was about to put it back in after nearly wrecking one of the switches again, and I said to myself "**** this," and snapped it.

Matthew Currie said:
Yeah, I did that too. That's one of the reasons I decided on purpose to break the bezel to make it more flexible. I really did break it on purpose. I was about to put it back in after nearly wrecking one of the switches again, and I said to myself "**** this," and snapped it.

Yeah, I think I'm going to make a slit or two with the dremel next time I need to take it off. ;)

Back