• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 to NV242 swap?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
There's an XJ in the junkyard with a nice NV242 transfer case hooked up to an AW4. How hard would it be to switch it out with mine which is an NP231 hooked up to an AX-15 for the NV242? Also which is better for off-roading? Someone told me all the new H1's have NV242's so that got me wondering.

H1's use the NV 242HD AMG which is rated for 2,340 lb. ft. of torque and 11,500 lbs. GVW versus the NV 242 (ours) which is rated for 1486 lb. ft. of torque and 5,500 lbs. GVW. It'd be nice if XJs had those, though.

I'm mechanically retarded, but if I came across a 242, I'd be tempted to swap.

My work car was a 2003 Exploder w/full time 4wd; it was awesome in the rain.

TacticalFats said:
I'm mechanically retarded, but if I came across a 242, I'd be tempted to swap.

My work car was a 2003 Exploder w/full time 4wd; it was awesome in the rain.
That's kind of why I want it, I've noticed on the freeway in the rain the back end will start to sway in 2wd, then I put it in 4wd and no more sway. Only thing is I'm afraid of leaving it on and turning one day and busting a yoke or something.

So if the splines are the same there should be no problem with the NV242 going from an auto to a manual, right?

I know that the visous couplers go on these when Full-Time is used too much, if I stay in part-time off road I shouldn't damage anything, right?

The only viscous anything on an XJ is the viscous fan drive. There is no viscous coupler in any XJ t-case unless it was swapped in through the aftermarket from a Grand.

Back