• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a 99 XJ

gregmondro

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a 1999 XJ here for sale for $4200.
It has an automatic transmission, 8.25 rear, automatic, power windows, locks, etc. Transfer case is just the regular 2wd 2hi n 4lo (np231 isnt it?). 183k miles

The exterior looks good with only a few scrapes on the corner bumpers and a couple on the flares, but nothing bad that has caused any body damage. The interior is GREAT looking (black) and the doors don't look scratched on the interior panels, the seats don't show signs of wear considering the year. The only problem with the interior is that there is a smell that seems to be coming from the cargo area. It is hard to explain, but in short it smells like someone died in there and they left them in the sun for a few days lol.

What are things to look for in this jeep that could go wrong considering the year/mileage? It doesn't seem to be leaking, and looks like a great jeep considering the price, the only thing that worries me is the things that could go wrong due to the mileage.

common reason for funky smell is water leaking into the back. See if you can't pull up some of the carpet and check for dampness. If damp, make sure you can look under there for rust.

I'm not too familiar with the XJ, I own an MJ. I just know of the funky smell that I've smelt in others was a leaking hatch gasket, and it made the rear carpet smell real funky.

and the solution was just to fix the gasket and shampoo the rear cargo carpet? Or actually replace the rear cargo carpet?

I had that problem with my 2000 XJ when I bought it. Or at least everybody in my family told me it smelled moldy. I never smelled it. ( they never misplaced an eel.) Hehe. Smelt OK to me. Anyway I shampoo the carpet. Used a Air conditioner vent freshner. Solved the problem. Oh, I asked the guy I bought it from and he told me he had a rear lift gate seal leaking. Dealer replaced the seal never did anything about the smell. I guess I shoulda taken someone with a good nose with me when I bought it. Mighta got the price down more. Hehe Robt.

It doesn't look like the rear leafs have sagged much if any.

might be a stupid question, but what color are the original shocks on 99 XJ's? This one has been cleaned up pretty well, so even if they were leaking originally, they might have cleaned up the leakage :)

one thing that i noticed in 4.0 with alot of miles is that oil can get into the air box . thats the first thing that i look at. seems to be some blow by problems.

FUNKYGREG said:
one thing that i noticed in 4.0 with alot of miles is that oil can get into the air box . thats the first thing that i look at. seems to be some blow by problems.

I thought that problem was mainly on the late 80's to early 90's 4.0.s, and that better design just about eliminated that issue?

I love my 99 also. I'd check the casting number on top of the head (located about midway down the head, at about the number 3 & 4 cylinders, on the drivers side, will probably need a flashlight to see it well), if it says 0630 you're in good shape. If it says 0331, i'd look elsewhere. But chances are, with 183K on the clock, it's probably the 0630.

what's the reasoning behind not wanting a block with the 0331?

funkygreg: about the blow by, I checked :)

I shoulda mentioned I have a 94 ZJ with the 4.0l with 130k on the ticker and still going strong. The reason i'm looking for an XJ now is because an elderly lady ran into me about a month ago on my way to work in the ZJ and pretty much tottaled it (twisted frame rail, so I don't wanna deal with it).

Last edited:
If the thing has been well maintained it can give you many more years of service but if this is your daily driver, you might want to consider a lower mileage vehicle. The operative word being "can." It doesn't mean it will. You'll probably never have problems with the drivetrain,.... its all the other doodads and gremlins that live in the electronics.
Good Luck whatever you decide.

gregmondro said:
what's the reasoning behind not wanting a block with the 0331?

Actually, it's the head and not the block that he's referring to.

The 0331 heads seem to have a cracking problem - been a few reported lately.

Rob

gregmondro said:
and the solution was just to fix the gasket and shampoo the rear cargo carpet? Or actually replace the rear cargo carpet?

If the water gets under the carpet, shampooing the carpet might not help. On my 97, there's the carpet, a rubber backing, then the padding. My hatch padding was completely soaked, but I never knew because the rubber barrier kept the carpet dry. My padding stopped smelling after I let it air dry.

I don't really know about the smell, but I own a 99 xj and for some reason, OEM parts are more expensive for that particular year of production..just thought I would put that out there.

Back