• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody?

Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to strength the unibody?

• sleeve the frame rails

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • T&J stiffners

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody?

Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? I'm running 37's and want to strength my unibody as well as I can. I'm going to be putting in a D&C internal roll cage and I have rock sliders already. Do you guys suggest sleeving the subframe or will T&J stiffners work good to strength up my unibody with the big tires and wheeling it? If you said to sleeve the frame rail with what thickness of metal and what welder etc. I know the subframe rails are not much more than thicker sheet metal so does sleeving them help that much if you add thick metal to flimsy stuff? Also I hear that welding to the unibody is not suggested as it can weaken it and is hard because it is so thin. Please advise. I'm closing out the mods on my XJ and this is an important 1 along with the roll cage for safety and the longivity of the body.

Last edited:
Re: Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody?

IntrepidXJ said:
I like the T&T setup

Is it a weld on or just bolt onto your rear spring hanger and front lower control arm bracket? I have seen 1 like this and it looks easy to install. Just lossen up the bolt and slide it on and bolt back up.

I see you viewing this thread Crash. I know you have good ideas and your XJ is awesome in how the roll cage, sliders, roof rack etc tie together. Can you help me out?

Re: Subframe sleeving or T&J stiffners??? What do you suggest to beef up the unibody?

I have the TnT setup. I think it stiffens as well as the T&J, and it has the added benefit of acting as a 1/4 inch skid for the fragile quasi-rails... So in my opinion, plate it.

edit: to answer your second question, the TnT is a weld in. It is essentially a 1/4 inch plate molded to fit precisely to the frame rails, then stich welded in, and gusseted to the rear spring hangers...

Last edited:

IntrepidXJ said:
actually, I believe the T&T is 3/16".....at least mine were

I think you're right about that...

TNT is 3/16" and stitch welded; I have a set sitting here ;)

Personally when I install it I'm gonna throw some plug welds in as well; overkill never hurt anybody.

I don't know anything about the T&J setup so I can't say anything there.

Based on the fact that you are asking this question I would point you towared TNT or T&J stiffiners as they are ready to go right away. If you don't weld have somebody do it for you. You don't want to blow holes in the "frame."

I plated my rails with 1/8th x 3 inch. Spot welding every 8 to 10 inches and seam (actually stitch) welding the edges. Plated the face and bottom. 1/8th was easy enough to mold to the contours and when seam welded together along with the spots very strong. I think the frame will fail above the plating at the seams for the body before the actual frame rails.
I then added foot plates for the cage floor plates to the 1/8th inch plate and tied it in to the rear spring hanger as well.
How long will it last? Don't know, I wheel it hard. When it goes, guess I'll do a body swap. :laugh3:
Took 2 weekends and cost 38 bucks for a stick of 1/8th. gotta count the gas and wire I guess too.

Derik

GSequoia said:
TNT is 3/16" and stitch welded; I have a set sitting here ;)

Personally when I install it I'm gonna throw some plug welds in as well; overkill never hurt anybody.

that's what i did

DSC04884.JPG

IntrepidXJ said:
that's what i did

DSC04884.JPG

why buy those instead of just angle iron? the t&T's site is down right now. do they wrap around? looks like they contour the frame rails pretty good.

xj4life said:
why buy those instead of just angle iron? the t&T's site is down right now. do they wrap around? looks like they contour the frame rails pretty good.

i was originally going to just use angle, but the price on these wasn't too terrible and they do match the contour of the rails pretty nicely. plus i picked them up while i was in CO, so no shipping involved.

Thanks guys for the feedback, keep it coming, I'm sure this is on the mind of alot of people especially us with 35"+ tires and aggressive wheeling styles.

I wasn't aware of TNT just T&J. Is TNT dynooomite? :laugh3: :explosion
I know that people plate their sub frame, but how advisable is it to weld onto the sub frame and how strong is your frame/body going to be where the plating stops? I think making spot welds every so often would be o.k. if you are careful like in the the 2 aftermarket kits. I think I'm going to get the TNT or T&J kit and when try to tie my interior roll cage in some how. Does anyone have the links for TNT and T&J?

Come on Crash, post up what you have done. Your setup is awesome, I've seen it 1st hand.

I forgot to add the feature to state who voted which way, can you guys state how you voted and why?

Last edited:
Go with TnT Customs

I have the T&T Customs frame stiffeners on the wifes XJ and they are great. T&T's work is amazing, strong, and they wrap around the uniframe. There was an increase in the way the XJ felt with steering and how if felt on the road to. Just my .02 Their website is under construction but here is the link. http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV3/default.asp I have there HD skid/crossmember and Rock Rails on the wifes XJ as well. It is great stuff. Give Bob a call or e-mail. He is also on here as Rock Yacht, send him a PM if you want.

-Matt

Thanks, I saw their T&T's site is under construction, at least the XJ stiffener link is. Is it bolt on or do you have to weld? I would like to be able to bolt it on and weld later as needed/wanted. Here are the T&J products their stage 1 and stage 2 kits:

Stage 1:
http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-chassiskit.htm

Stage 2 with slider:
http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-stage2chassiskit.htm

Does anyone know if the T&J kit is bolt on, the stage 1 at least with the stage 2 being welded (sliders).

Big Red said:
Thanks, I saw their T&T's site is under construction, at least the XJ stiffener link is. Is it bolt on or do you have to weld? I would like to be able to bolt it on and weld later as needed/wanted. Here are the T&J products their stage 1 and stage 2 kits:

TNT is weld on

TnT are weld on, and are contoured to match the frame rail. nice units, Have a set waiting to go on the XJ also.

Detour said:
Heres another option... http://www.detoursusa.com/xjrokslyders.php

Available in both bolt/weld on.
Theres no problems welding to the unibody, unless your welder cant weld.....
.....people have been welding on unibodies since the 70's...

Looks good. I saw these and was thinking about them. I already have JKS knockoffs welded to my sub frame so can I cut notches in your sub frame stiffeners to fit around the 2 feet to the sub frame? My brother-in-law will probably get your complete slider and stiffener kit. Is shipping a lot to Sacramento, CA (Citrus Heights) 95610?

Troy

Hmmm, well......most do the reverse, remove those knockoffs, reduce thier
out riggers by 1.5", install the stiffner, weld out riggers to stiffner....gusset
if required, Im not familiar with knockoffs....but if you notch the stiffner, as
you suggest....you'd be defeating thier purpose, as with any other product
out there...

Email me if you'd like additional pics or info to include shipping. (which isnt alot)
Address is on the site..

The TnT's are not channel shaped...

My info is that they are L shaped...

Which if you're beefing up the unibody is fine... Great even.

But if you're planning on mounting longarms, radius arms, 3 links, etc.

You may want to go with channel shaped steel...

Somebody on the board used box steel and split it in half...

I unfortunately don't remember the size of box steel needed or the dimensions of the "C" needed...

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Back