• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Rumble

barns12

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked at all the threads and havn't found one like this problem. The Cherokee is stock. Driving down the road at about 55 mph I start to get a rumble with slight vibration that continues at least to 80 mph. The front hub bearings and axle jnts have been replaced as well as the rear axle bearings and u-jnts in the rear driveshaft. New tires did not make a difference either. Any ideas?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was from drive shaft vibes. From what I understand by talking to a dealer mechanic, It wasn't uncommon for them to come in new with vibes. He said it was usually from the DS/pinion angle. I know the factory leaf springs on my 2000 were shot at 35,000 mi. But I only got vibes if I was really dogging it.
Just something to think about. I guess the're a lot of things it could be.

dphillips said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was from drive shaft vibes. From what I understand by talking to a dealer mechanic, It wasn't uncommon for them to come in new with vibes. He said it was usually from the DS/pinion angle. I know the factory leaf springs on my 2000 were shot at 35,000 mi. But I only got vibes if I was really dogging it.
Just something to think about. I guess the're a lot of things it could be.

In 2000 we got the low pinionTJ axle and there's been troule ever since! My daughter's does it also.

I'm guessing it is your front driveline. Slip splines are stripped. Just take it off and have a drive line guy check it out. Or get under it and grab it above and below the slip sline and yank really hard. There shouldn't be a lot of movement.

Back