• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Caliper

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
Does the Brake Caliper for a 98' bolt onto the steering knuckle? What is it that it bolts to? I have to remove my caliper to remove the disc in order to replace a lug stud.
But.....about a year ago I had to helicoil both caliper mounting holes. So as long as I have to replace the lug bolt stud, I may as well get a new or used steering knuckle with real threads for the caliper.
I just wanted to be sure it was in fact the steering knuckle. Please let me know otherwise.
Earlier XJ's had a seperate caliper mounting plate, but this 98 does not.

Yes, that's the outer knuckle that the caliper is bolted to.

You can however, just leave it. I'm running two helicoils in the drivers side knuckle and it works fine. They are "real threads" too.

If you try to buy a new one, it's going to be around $300. If you can find a junkyard that will separate one from an axle, you can use that but they won't around here.

BTW, you only need to tighten the caliper bolts to around 10 ft-lb. That's why they strip in the first place; over tightening.

HTH

Back