• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another seat bracket question

scooterfrog

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search.
I now hava 99 sport
I used to have an 87.
in my 87 I swapped out non reclining seart and flat brackets for
reneault gta sears and "rock and roll brackets"
the gta seats bolted right up to the stock brakctets, (renalutl alliance seats wre identical to my chrokee seats so I thougthteh gta seats migth fit)

so now my question. will early rock and rool brackets fit my late model seats and floor. it looks like the floor pann has studs to mount he seat bracket. does any one know.

what about power bases for non power seats. I really need to raise the front of the driver lower cushion or move the seat back. and it needts to be adjustable so my wife can get back n and drive the car.

The earlier 84-94 seats and brackets mount up completely different than the 95-01 XJ seats and brackets. (Interesting info on the GTa seats. :) Those early XJ 'rocker rails' were the next best thing to power seats.)
I have a 97 and I swapped out my manual seats for powered seats from a 99 Limited. The bases with the power motors do sit up about a half inch higher than the manual seats but the height of the seat bottom can be raised even higher at either the front or rear (or both) of the seat bottom. The powered versions also move forward and rearward with motors but the recline feature is still on the side of the seat back and is manually controlled with a lever.
The drivers side powered seat was only available on the 97 Country and 98-01 Limited so finding a used one might prove difficult. The 95-96 power seat base will work on all 97-01 XJs and are much easier to find.
The wiring for the power seats is already installed in your 99 Sport if you have power windows & locks. The open pigtail connector is under the passenger front door threshold panel.

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
The earlier 84-94 seats and brackets mount up completely different than the 95-01 XJ seats and brackets. (Interesting info on the GTa seats. :) Those early XJ 'rocker rails' were the next best thing to power seats.).

the dealer confirmed that a powere base will bolt up to my npon powered seats but he wants 1000 so I may crawl teh yard.

but you said the seats ans brackets are totally differetn. is itthe bracket to floor that is different. (againit looks likethe floor has the studs needed fo the front mounts. or is the bracket to seat which is different.
and yes I diod mean the "rocker rails"

any body got a part number for those

I've been told that on older models the seats use four studs with large nuts.

on my 97, the rear next to the center consol uses a stud and nut, while the other three use a bolt/washer combo through the unibody. the outside rear bolt goes all the way through and is exposed to the elements. very rusty. I snapped that bolt-

DSCN1136.jpg

The rear of the seat mounts to the floor with one stud and one bolt but the front (unlike the pre95) bolt to a raised cross support. The front bolts do not extend through the floorboard.
The way the 95 and newer seats attach the to seat rail is also different and are not compatible with the older style without substantial modification.
The early style 'rocker seat rails' are probably no longer available from the dealership and even if the were, they would be very expensive. You can probably pick up a set from the bone yard (if you can find them) for about $25-50 for the pair.

I sold my last set a while back.

dsc04253.jpg

ok ok looks like I am out of luck withthe rock and roll sliders (if I could find some)
I guess I will look for a driver side power base. I donot weld so I not capable of modding/ fabbing something up if I could find the bases.

do other chrysler products power seat bases fit. (presumable the changed the seat bases to use a more common part) durango (only the up down back and forthe is power the recline is not(6 way), town and country (look like it is an 8 way recline is)

Back