• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New brake line instalation

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
Hey do yall know of a web site that has a good write up on installing brake lines and bleeding the brakes and all. Or if yall could tell me what all is involved in bleeding the brakes that would be great too. Thanks. -Austin

-start at the right rear.
-get someone to pump the brake a few times then hold it down.
-as they are holding it down turn the bleeder screw out to release the built up brake fluid.
-tighten the bleeder screw and have the assistant pump the pedal again.
-repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more air bubbles come out.

then do the left rear, right front, then left front. same steps.

any service book/manual will have the proper steps to bleed brakes in it. a Haynes book will help you with basic stuff like this.

XgeekstarX said:
-start at the right rear.
-get someone to pump the brake a few times then hold it down.
-as they are holding it down turn the bleeder screw out to release the built up brake fluid.
-tighten the bleeder screw and have the assistant pump the pedal again.
-repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more air bubbles come out.

check the fluid level often, don't let it get below the line or you're just putting more air into the system.

then do the left rear, right front, then left front. same steps.

instaling rear brake lines are not big deal at all. they are steel lines, and you can borrow a tube bender and flaring tool from autozone with a deposit you will get back after you return it. its no biggie. take a wire first and bend it to the shape of the route you want the line to go in, then bend the tube in that same way. flare the ends and instal the couplings. easy. then bleed as stated above

when swaping brake lines - use a FLARE NUT WRENCH or you will strip the brass flares

trust me - i know...

thank you, thats a good web site. But when you unscrew the old brake like, will brake fluid come out? If so then do i have to drain the whole system before i do that? Thanks, -Austin

You will drip a little fluid but most stays in the master cylinder. You should plug the line youre not replacing while working on getting the new installed. I like to suck out the funky old fluid from the master cyl. resevoir then add fresh before starting to bleed.

Someone mentioned which wheel to start at. The general rule is you want to start at the hydraulic component that is most distant from the master cylinder and work your way closer from there.

Remember to keep an eye on the master cylinder, be synchronized so air isin't going back into the lines and that brake fluid eats paint (wash off any spills).

Beachmonkey6 said:
alright. so i have to bleed all 4 brakes even though im only replacing the rear brake line?
You don't have to, but it's a real good idea.

ok thanks. Today i bought a brake bleeding pump and im wondering, after i clear all the air out of the brake lines, how am i going to close the brake line back up without air getting back into it? Because after i pump all the air out of the lines, then i unplug the tube leading to the pump... wont air just get back into the line before i have the chance to close it? Thanks. -Austin

are you trying to just get the air out of the lines and pump through the same brake fluid you have right now or doyou want to completely clean out youre system. cause if you want to clean out the syetem then you have to do something with the master cylindar but im not sure what it is but yeah. i just blead my brakes like 6 hours ago and i still have grease on my hands but if you just want to bleed them through then just do what that guy told you to do.
i broke a fitting that comes off the solid steel brake line and had to flair it and reinvent it and yeah that sucked but it is quite basic

Back