• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone else have this rattle??

witstick

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, 98 classic, when i shut either the driver side front door or passanger side door, there is a loud rattle from the roof. Over certain bumps you can hear it inside, very annoying. I checked the roof rack and everything seems to be tight.....it actually sound like it commin from inside the roof somewhere...........any ideas?? Thanks, Chris.

bwaaaa haaaahaaaahaaaa.....

A rattle just one ? lucky you. For every rattle I find and make quiet, two more pop up. I just gave up and keep the stereo on. Of course mine is a bit older than yours.

Roof rack is probably pulling away through the rubber grommets.

Or anything bolted/tacked to the roof (lights, overhead console) may be working loose.

I just removed the stock roof rack from my '97, and can say there is very little there that could cause a rattle. check each of the torx screws for tightness. check crossmembers -make sure they are locked in place, and that the small springs in the ends that slide on the track are good.- endcaps on mine were loose.

If you narrow it down to the rack, remove the screws and reinstall with a bit of clear adhesive RTV, same with endcaps.

do you have a sun roof?

Hey, no sunroof, it doesnt seem like the rack is loose but i will check all the bolts, Petey, yes these isnt very many rattles on my 98 just a couple and it has 106,000 on it! my 91 sounded like it was gonna fall apart at 116,000..........

It might be that long thin piece right above your windows, inbetween the top of the door and the bottom of the roof, acts as a type of "gutter" for water to run down off the roof. The clips on my passenger one rusted away and it used to rattle like crazy over every bump. Nothin a little silicone couldn't fix.

99XJSPORT06 said:
It might be that long thin piece right above your windows, inbetween the top of the door and the bottom of the roof, acts as a type of "gutter" for water to run down off the roof. The clips on my passenger one rusted away and it used to rattle like crazy over every bump. Nothin a little silicone couldn't fix.
Heh - I thought about that while I was rattling down I-25 today. My '96 doesn't have the chrome clips for the driprails, but my '89 did and they rattled like mad half the time.

there's also roof support brace " thingy's " up under the head liner ( on my 89 anyhow ) with the liner out they rattle more. it's just a cross brace running from side to side above the liner,,guess it's supposed to help in a rollover ?

I will check that cross brace inside the headliner, it really sounds like thats where its comming from.........now next question, how difficult is it to remove the headliner?? .........

Removing the headliner isn't horrible, but it may take a while. You have to remove all of the trim in the top half of the Jeep. I siliconed the one on my 89 when I was installing sound killer on the roof.

Back