• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patches or new floor pan?

ChedderBob

NAXJA Forum User
Well i noticed a rust hole while under my jeep right above the cat and muff. So I decided to investigate. I ripped out the carpet and had plans to clean-up any rust and herculine. Now thats on hold. The passenger side floor has extreme rust issues. Which brings me to my question. Sheetmetal patches or brand new floor pan from Sherman parts for 135 bones?
JEEP
JEEP
jeeprustremoval001

Depends on how extensive it is. If it stays infront of the seam that separates front from back then I would just use sheetmetal. The front is pretty flat and should not be too hard to recreate in sheetmetal. The rear gets complicated as is goes up to the cargo area and around the wheelwells.

I am in the middle of the project as we speak. It is slow tough work.
You can find a lot of pictures around the forums if you search, If you cannot find them PM me and I will give you some links.

Katarn

guess i cant post pics yet

there are going to be about 5 to 6 large patches just on the passenger floor and on the side of the tunnel. Enough damage to warrent a new floor pan. Ill have access to a welder and was just wondering if I would be better off welding one large piece or numerous smaller pieces

thanks

Both sides of my MJ's floor were completely gone.
I cut the floors out of a newer XJ, but didn't cut enough for the passengers side.

So I patched the DS with the factory XJ floor, and the PS with 3 strips of sheetmetal.
One strip from the 'framerail' to the center hump.
One strip from the 'framerail' to the rockerbox
And a third, thinner strip over the opening of the framerail.

If I did it again, I would absolutely do the strips of sheetmetal, instead of the original XJ pan.

An aftermarket pan might be easier than a cut up piece of factory floor (provided it fits well), but the strips were really a nice fit for me, and I'd still go that route next time.

The 3 strip idea actually sounds pretty good. Im going to have to cut a good portion out of the center tunnel. so using strips could save me some headaches.

Wow, forgot what I'm missing back there. Buy a clean west coast/southern jeep and xfer your parts. Save you some headaches and keeps you going a few more years. If you don't want that hassle, I'd go with new pans. Look at the insides of your rockers I'll bet they're rusty too.

When I become King my first decree will will be that ALL xj's...say north of the equator, must remove that freakin' rust developing carpet.....j/k...lol.
Its really a shame that so many xj's have met their demise due to the carpet. I patched mine but in the spring I'm replacing the whole thing.

Man, thats nothing! Go find a metal recycler, or supplier and buy some sheetmetal. I used 16ga. (actually Im currently reolacing floors in my 96) Get some cardboard for a template, cut the metal, get a hammer, and do some poundin and weldin! Not worth buying the pans in my opinion. I had to replace the entire drivers side and 60% of the passenger side. Plus I had to work around the newer seat mount. You have it easy! All in all I paid $20 for a 3'x8' sheet of 16ga, $4 for Bosch metal blades for my jig saw, $20 for various wire wheel/flapper disc type stuff, and a bit for welding wire and gas. Oh, and $80 for Por-15 so I wont have to do this again. So all told under $150 for everything minus the welder! Both sides new and rust proofed.

I used 18g and was quite satisfied. I would say make your own, the shape is not complicated and should be easy to replicate with the sheet.

Katarn

You can get small 18x18 16 ga squares at places like Lowes or Menards (home improvement type places). Also some hardware stores have it, but try to find a scrap yard, or call a welder/small welding shop and ask them. They know where to get it for the best price! I believe the stock pan is 18, but since I got the deal on 16, well the floor is just thicker in the middle!

Back