• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC Drop trouble

Bowzer

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help with removing the threaded-frame-bolts on the crossmember. I just got my lift installed, would LOVE to go out and play with it, but... these friggin bolts are holdin me back.

Instructions say to use a stud extractor.. I don't have one; I have NOT found one at the local auto stores... or use vise grips. Wouldn't vise grips just strip/spin around the bolts?

Is there (hopefully) another way to remove these bolts?

Bowzer said:
I need some help with removing the threaded-frame-bolts on the crossmember. I just got my lift installed, would LOVE to go out and play with it, but... these friggin bolts are holdin me back.

Instructions say to use a stud extractor.. I don't have one; I have NOT found one at the local auto stores... or use vise grips. Wouldn't vise grips just strip/spin around the bolts?

Is there (hopefully) another way to remove these bolts?
1. [urll=http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?]search[/url] is your friend
2. double nut it (if you don't know what that is, see #1)

Vice grips did the trick for me. It'll be tough, but it'll work. If you have the means, you might try heating them up first. I just used a generous amount of WD-40 and some muscle.

Dvipercop said:
I just used a generous amount of WD-40 and some muscle.
Ummm wd40 wouldn't help: pb blaster or liquid wrench is good idea. WD40 is just water displacement oil (lubricant?) and unless you're displacing water, it's not going to help at all with stuck bolts.

yeah dont mess up the threads. double nut it. screw on one nut, and then screw on another one. tighten them together, and use a wrench on the first one you scewed on. the second one will hold it in place, and the stud will come out

stupidfast said:
yeah dont mess up the threads. double nut it. screw on one nut, and then screw on another one. tighten them together, and use a wrench on the first one you scewed on. the second one will hold it in place, and the stud will come out
thank you! :spin1:

Sears on line. Sears local and Pep Boys will all have a stud extractor. they are great!!!

stupidfast said:
Who cares whether the threads on the stud get replaced? It's getting a t-case drop anyway and the replacement bolts are M10-1.50, anywhere around 35mm long should be enough in most cases. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/tcase.html

Yucca-Man said:
Who cares whether the threads on the stud get replaced? It's getting a t-case drop anyway and the replacement bolts are M10-1.50, anywhere around 35mm long should be enough in most cases. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/tcase.html
:wow: your black!

i had the same problem. The jackass at advanced auto laughed at me when i asked for a stud extractor. Told me it was a mechanics joke. I told him he was a dumb ass, and i had a friend tack weld the nuts on, and just backed it out with a wrench. Of course, that was before i realized there is a little lip on the stud to keep it from falling through the x-member, but that was easily fixed with an angle grinder. I didnt try the double nut cus i didnt have enough threads/time and i couldnt drop the x-member all the way off the studs and try to get enough threads that way. Im sure it would work fine though.

NCCherokee said:
i had the same problem. The jackass at advanced auto laughed at me when i asked for a stud extractor. Told me it was a mechanics joke. I told him he was a dumb ass, and i had a friend tack weld the nuts on, and just backed it out with a wrench. Of course, that was before i realized there is a little lip on the stud to keep it from falling through the x-member, but that was easily fixed with an angle grinder. I didnt try the double nut cus i didnt have enough threads/time and i couldnt drop the x-member all the way off the studs and try to get enough threads that way. Im sure it would work fine though.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00946338000
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5237

Kinda Ghetto, but all I did was use some penetrating oil on the stud, wrap an old sock around it and use a pair of vice grips as tight as I could get them and the stud came right out. With the sock as protection, there isn't even a single mark on the stud.

trying this today as well, tried the double nut method, didnt come close to working, vice grips-no way, any other ideas, i also snapped one of the regular bolts and then lost about a 16th of my drill bit inside the broken bolt. I'm so screwed right now its not normal, whatever can go wrong will go wrong w/ me. Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts?

Try different brand of t-case drop maybe? Honestly I read a thread about this all the time and I don't know which one your using but I never had to take the studs out on mine.

Back