• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front brake lines

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
OK looking for options on extended front brake lines. My XJ has 5" lift RE DB, stock relocated front lines. While testing, the front lines still need a little more length. I have tried getting YJ fronts, but no one has them in stock and they are pricey. Are TJ or WJ lines longer? If I have to spend too much I'll just get Stainless, just don't want to if I dont need too. Any ideas?

Angus

Pricey? 95 Wrangler lines bolt right in i work at NAPA think they are less then 30 bones for the pair. I can check tommorrow in you like

Well at advanced auto parts the YJ lines are 34.99 a peice. So i got ones for a 95 2 wheel drive Gmc 1500. The lines are about 3 to 4 inches longer than stock lines. So they should be fine with your 5 inch lift. And also compare line lengths when you are there. HTH

scott

I was just at autozone.com and searched for the 95 chevy 1500 2wd. which diameter/length would i need for my 88XJ with 4.5" of lift?
randomly i put in 3/8"/20", standard threading, and the price came up as $2.79 (part #AZ620). could that be right?

XJ_Newbie said:
I was just at autozone.com and searched for the 95 chevy 1500 2wd. which diameter/length would i need for my 88XJ with 4.5" of lift?
randomly i put in 3/8"/20", standard threading, and the price came up as $2.79 (part #AZ620). could that be right?
Thats for the hardline.

I was thinking of going the YJ route and I've always heard of them being $25 for the pair. Haven't looked personally but I'm hoping they aren't over $40 otherwise I'll just go RE stainless.

$30-35 for stock rubber lines is pricey to me. Remember the SS lines are $70-75 a pair. I have never heard of using GM truck lines before?
Angus

Looking at $40.00 for the pair at NAPA cheaper and better then the stainless after time if you search a bit youll find stainless leaks.
Left number is UP 38862
Right number is UP 38861
hope that helps

bowhunter said:
Looking at $40.00 for the pair at NAPA cheaper and better then the stainless after time if you search a bit youll find stainless leaks.
Left number is UP 38862
Right number is UP 38861
hope that helps

yea and rubber lines will expand after some age..

bigger tires + heavier XJ = better braking needed
btw OEM XJ brakes blow suck to start with

Ill take stainless anytime over rubber
there are certain things you should not skimp on IMO

VegasAnthony said:
bigger tires + heavier XJ = better braking needed
btw OEM XJ brakes blow suck to start with

SOOOO TRUE

VegasAnthony said:
Ill take stainless anytime over rubber
there are certain things you should not skimp on IMO

Angus has it covered, he's got WJ knuckles and brakes. The ability to feel rubber brake lines expanding on a lifted, large tired 4x4 certainly takes a less numb butt than mine to feel.

If it were me I'd do some research on the stainless lines before buying. Some of them are crap quality - an example can be found at madxj.com.

That being said, I haven't dug into it any closer so can't rec anything. I got SS lines for the lockers from RE but dunno if they do brake lines (RE usually is pretty good kit).

HTH

x2 on the madxj write-up concerning stainless steel line.Also I think I read somewhere that stainlees lines are not DOT approved,which could lead to some very expensive liability issues.

flexyxj said:
x2 on the madxj write-up concerning stainless steel line.Also I think I read somewhere that stainlees lines are not DOT approved,which could lead to some very expensive liability issues.

one time at bandcamp a guy told me the same thing :exclamati

OK I got new lines meant for a 95 Wrangler. These lines have a long metal tube at the caliper end going to the rubber line at the other. Is this tube supposed to be held or clamped to the caliper? I am concerned about the length and vibration. I am guess since allot have done this swap that my worries are unfounded.

Angus

flexyxj said:

I ran stainless for a while, be sure to cover them with rubber hose on the outside. I didn't and they rubbed up against the shock. One day while going down hill i was on the brakes to slow down peddal went straight to the floor. yup the pos blew on me. luckily the down hill had sides to it that i was able to steer into to stop myself.

Funny thing is I was trying to get into position to winch another guy down the hill that had a blown S.S. brake line.

I can get any length rubber (DOT) approved brake lines made here in Louisville for about $40/pc. I only mention this because I guess not many places make them, the shop said the next closest place that makes them is in Memphis.

Well I'm not real happy with the wrangler lines. I mocked them up and they hit the shocks and the long tube at the caliper end seems like a stress point. So tell me more options?????

Thanks, Angus

I haven't looked closely at this yet...

What about moving the hard line mount to a better location? This is normally what I do - but haven't done it with an XJ yet so I dunno if there is anything in the way to complicate that.

I have allready moved the hard line down as far as I can. With my 5" OME BB lift, RE drop brackets holding JKS arms, and OME long travel shocks the lines are still not long enough. I suppose this means I am flexing good huh.

Angus

try these part numbers for longer lines

RAY 4538620
RAY 4538621

that is what i run - and 17.99 a piece was nice...

OEM, GM 3/4 ton IFS truck front brake lines

here is a pic next to a YJ wrangler line:

Click for fullsize

just another option...
RAY 4538620
RAY 4538620

Back