• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping sound after changing hub

ke5vm

NAXJA Forum User
I recently changed out the left front hub assy. on my 99XJ and ever since then I have had a popping sound when I turn the wheel left or right at slow speed. I have had it check by the front end people that replaced it and they can't find any reason for the noise. BJ's ok. Only started after the hub change. Any help would be appreciated. Search brought no help.

I had the same problem and it was pretty bad. I checked it out, my father (a mechanic) checked it, and the guys I work with at the shop checked it and nobdy could figure it out. We checked everything including in the differential and everything seemed fine. After about a month it just randomly stopped doing it.

Does the hub spin nice and smooth by hand? U-joints? Maybe even body noise if there is a small crack somwhere allowing movement in the unibody when it flexes. I don't know if the sector shaft going to the steering box might cause that noise but you could probably check that.

Hub spins nice and smooth. U-joints and BJ's are fine. It did not do this until I put the new hub on. I even check to make sure the lug nuts were tightening down right. All OK. I am baffled.

is the stub shaft torqued down are the three bolts that hold the hub on tight as well.
not to doubt ya but how did you check the ball joints / u-joints (there soudl be 0 slop in either.

ke5vm said:
I recently changed out the left front hub assy. on my 99XJ and ever since then I have had a popping sound when I turn the wheel left or right at slow speed. I have had it check by the front end people that replaced it and they can't find any reason for the noise. BJ's ok. Only started after the hub change. Any help would be appreciated. Search brought no help.

It might be relavent and it might not, but on my Renix original hub the studs had a diameter for the last centimeter of the stud (kind of like a bushing) of 15MM. The holes in the rotor are 15MM and the studs are 1/2" or 12.5MM (or so).
I may be full of it, but I'm thinking the rotor may be slipping on the hub face and hitting the studs, there is almost a 2.5MM of play in there or close 1/8".

You know, I have wondered if something like that could be the case. I will check the rigth side and compare it to the new one. That just might be it. Thanks for the insight. Everything else suggested has been checked. Plus none of this started until I put a new hub on. Thanks again. I will let you know.

I had the same thing happen on a 99 GMC Sonoma 4x4 I had. I changed the hub assembly and got a popping when I would steer. I took it apart and put it back together a couple times to no avail.
I exchanged the new hub assembly for another one and put it on. When I put on the second new one the noise was not there. It turns out I just got ahold of a bad assembly the first time.

Back