• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Parts Question

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy, its time to replace my cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I know this has sparked quite the debate in the past, and I don't mean to start up another argument. I am basically just looking for some good parts combinations that work well. I'm not looking to low-buck the job, but I would rather not spend a fortune either. I live in CA, so a lot of the fancy do-dads will really upset the smog police. Any recomendations? I know in the past, there were al lot of people benhind the OEM stuff, and I'll go that route if there isn't anything better, but I would like to upgrade if possible. Thanks for any help.

Mopar Performance Catalog.

For any XJ, the Mopar Performance wires give the best bang-for-the-buck by far. The Mopar Performance cap and rotor for the HOs used to have brass contacts, not aluminum, and the set cost LESS than the OEM cap alone (which has aluminum contacts). The performance cap and rotor I got for my non-HO had aluminum contacts (big disappointment there), but I don't know if that's for the non-HOs only, or if Mopar dropped the brass contacts.

I got a cap and rotor from NAPA with brass contacts last fall. But I just did a search of their site and nothing came up so maybe they've stopped carrying them. You might still check and see if they have any left if you don't go the Mopar route. I had a bad experience with Jacob's wires, lost an electrode despite the fact I was pulling on the boot and not the wire. Ended up going with Magnecor which were not too much more and I think they are put together alot better. I am currently running the above items with Bosch plus 2's and after about 18 months have no complaints. Have fun!

A few years ago I got a brass-contact distributor for the 87, I think from Autozone. It was one of the standard aftermarket brands, but I'm not at home so I can't check if I still have the box, etc. I do recall that it was red instead of gray.

Eagle has it correct. I'd stick with Mopar performance available upgrades and leave it at that. I think when is time for a complete tune-up on my '98 at ~100k miles i will use these components. I have personally witnessed the crappiest tune-up stuff from AZ imaginable that i run from that place anymore....esp for elec parts.

OK, I talked to the guy at my local parts counter and he says that the Mopar performance cap will work on my Jeep but the rotor will not. He says that I can mix and match to get this to work. Are there any problems with this? If the contacts are different material on the cap and rotor, will this be a problem? Good news is I can get the parts dirt cheap.

Back