• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 indicator lights not working

sparky1

NAXJA Forum User
my 98 xj with a slect trac tranny was stuck in high part-time 4 wheel drive, when i finally got it into 2 wheel drive (backing-up, cuting the front wheels etc) i lost my 4x4 lights, both high and low. the strange thing is i still have the full time light showing if i"m in full time 4x4.what controls the lights on a 242?

sparky1 said:
my 98 xj with a slect trac tranny was stuck in high part-time 4 wheel drive, when i finally got it into 2 wheel drive (backing-up, cuting the front wheels etc) i lost my 4x4 lights, both high and low. the strange thing is i still have the full time light showing if i"m in full time 4x4.what controls the lights on a 242?
Did you loose lights or 4wd? You might want to make sure that there aren't bigger problems.

I'm having the same problem. My 4wd lights aren't working either (I have the regular command track or what ever it's called). I'm 100% sure my actual 4wd is working though. I have a feeling it's the plunger indicator light for mine, I'm just going to see if it bothers me when I need to use the 4wd in the snow this winter. If I find it's too annoying, then I'll get it fixed, otherwise I'll live with it.

sixdoubleseven said:
I'm having the same problem. My 4wd lights aren't working either (I have the regular command track or what ever it's called). I'm 100% sure my actual 4wd is working though. I have a feeling it's the plunger indicator light for mine, I'm just going to see if it bothers me when I need to use the 4wd in the snow this winter. If I find it's too annoying, then I'll get it fixed, otherwise I'll live with it.
thanks for replying to my question about the lights, it gives me something to go on. this week-end i"ll jack her up and check out my electical connections. i was hoping it was a fuse or something simple but it never is the way is it. forecasting snow tonight and like to get this problem fixed as soon as possible

sparky1 said:
thanks for replying to my question about the lights, it gives me something to go on. this week-end i"ll jack her up and check out my electical connections. i was hoping it was a fuse or something simple but it never is the way is it. forecasting snow tonight and like to get this problem fixed as soon as possible

Just an FYI - when I had this problem on my old YJ a few years ago (reverse problem though, light was stuck on after switching back to 2wd). The mom & pop mechanic we go to charged me something like 30 or 40 dollars to replace the plunger.

i am having this same issue. 94 country with a 231. 4 wheel drive works great although the indicator lights will not come on. this plunger everyone is talking about where might that be located?

Back