• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HV Oil pump gasket?

xj_yk

NAXJA Forum User
With a desire to pack a new Melling high volume oil pump with vaseline to get a good prime, I popped off the end plate and, of course, tore the thin gasket. Any ideas where to get a new one? All my gasket material is too thick and I am hesitant to try to use a liquid gasket maker because of clearances.

I don't think I would use anything but gasket material. Have you tried any of the parts stores online. I did a seaarch for Melling gaskets but could not find one for a 4.0 HV oil pump. Try to get gasket material of the same thickness and material and make your own.

Okay, bulltear first replied that he could get a gasket but I haven't heard from him again for weeks. I have not heard from back from Melling either. Nor can I source a .0085" gasket material. My local machine shop says my other option is to use a water resistant paper sheet of the same thickness. That I can find. Thoughts?

xj_yk said:
Okay, bulltear first replied that he could get a gasket but I haven't heard from him again for weeks. I have not heard from back from Melling either. Nor can I source a .0085" gasket material. My local machine shop says my other option is to use a water resistant paper sheet of the same thickness. That I can find. Thoughts?

I stole some copper foil the wife had set aside for projects. It works great for many high temperature gasket applications (EGR, Renix cat flange etc.). Copper foil is often available at hobby shops and comes in different thicknesses.
I have a tube of non hardening gasket sealer, a very thin coat on a layer or two of copper foil would probably get the job done. Probably don't need the sealer.
I've also torn that gasket, I used a dab of permatex at the tear, never gave me any trouble.

Back