• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full float disassembly dana 60??????

Okie Terry said:
Remove the ends on each side and pull out the shafts.

removed 4 bolts on the end cap and there is the drive flange and the axle end...the end of the double splined axle. the4 drive flange holds the end cap on.

229463498LDhpGw_ph.jpg

It should look like that. Remove those 8 nuts and the shaft should slide right out.

91 Jeep Project said:
229463498LDhpGw_ph.jpg

It should look like that. Remove those 8 nuts and the shaft should slide right out.

not even close..........it has only 4 small bolts and 5 x 5.5 bolt circle. custom made...I guess Im gonna have to tear into it LOL

steel internal drive flange.....tapped it in and it has a coiled spring clip to retain the drive flange.........the reason I was working on it is because the rotors are very hard to turn......I was able to remove the drove flange and it spins freely.....so the wheel bearings are fine...put the drive flange in and low and behold it binds!....the drive flanges are milled incorrectly......nice huh!

xjnation said:
steel internal drive flange.....tapped it in and it has a coiled spring clip to retain the drive flange.........the reason I was working on it is because the rotors are very hard to turn......I was able to remove the drove flange and it spins freely.....so the wheel bearings are fine...put the drive flange in and low and behold it binds!....the drive flanges are milled incorrectly......nice huh!
Figures.
At least it's an inexpensive screw up.

Okie Terry said:
Figures.
At least it's an inexpensive screw up.

turns out to be terraflex drive hubs one is ok and one is screwed up...the other more serious problem appears that the axles are not centered in the rotor one side is off the toe back and bottom and the other to the front and bottom....I will check farther in the morning but it appears that the spindles whre not welded on corectly.....Im hoping Im wrong

Just so you all realize, this axle he is talking about is custom made by Extreme Axle Sales in New York. They use weld on spindles that stock front Dana 60 hubs/rotors fit on. So, the make up of this axle would be just like a front axle, but uses a double splined axle shaft with one end fitting into the diff side gears and one end fitting into a drive flange. I believe the drive flange is held in the hub by a large snap ring just like drive flanges (or lockout hubs) are held in a Dana 44 front hub. What I think he found as a problem is that the double splined axle shafts want to sit offset in the spindle bore. I assume the shaft can be pulled straight enough to get the drive flange on, but then there is tension at the side gear and the drive flange, and consequently, the rotor is hard to turn. I'm really interested in what the final outcome is, so keep us informed. Jeff

Sounds kludgey - too bad. Would be a nice alternative to 5 on 5.5" GM 14B.

I don't know what you mean by Kludgey or a good alternative to 5 on 5.5 14Bolt? I think it is a great rear axle setup. First, it's full float, second, it uses the same setup that a front 60 would use for bearings, rotor, etc., third, the axle shaft can be hardened all the way from end to end with NO flange of any sort. One can build it so the two custom double splined shafts can be the same length. One can build it to use seals at the diff, at the spindle, or none and let the diff lube get to the bearings. If using a seal, one must grease the bearings just like in front. The hubs can stay 8 lug or be machined for 6 lug or 5 lug. It's all possible. Jeff

Sounds like a sweet set-up. Did you weld the spindles, or did a shop do it? I hope a jig or allignment bar was used. Either way, you should be able to have the spindle cut off and re-welded to fix the problem.

-Jon

Kaczman said:
Sounds like a sweet set-up. Did you weld the spindles, or did a shop do it? I hope a jig or allignment bar was used. Either way, you should be able to have the spindle cut off and re-welded to fix the problem.

-Jon

Read much Jon? :) "Just so you all realize, this axle he is talking about is custom made by Extreme Axle Sales in New York. They use weld on spindles that stock front Dana 60 hubs/rotors fit on." However, I am working on a similar axle myself. I'm using a HP D60 center section and retubing the short side. I would like to make adapters that press on the tube ends and allow stock Dana 60 front spindles to bolt to them. However, I am concerned about alignment issues if done this way. I suppose I should make my adapters butt weld to the tube and use an alignment bar to position them. However, then I've got a butt weld instead of a pressed on end. Seems to me the press on end would be much stronger. Aparently another cool way to go is to use a Warn 9" full float kit and install big bearing 9" ends on the housing using the alignment bar and butt weld tecnique. Jeff

I read this :)
Jeff 98XJ WI said:
...he is talking about is custom made by Extreme Axle Sales in New York. They use weld on spindles that stock front Dana 60 hubs/rotors fit on.

Cut the spindle off, allign it properly, and fix the problem. If they used a jig or allignment bar, the housing and spindles should not be the problem.

Many of the aftermarket SF 60's have 9" big bearing ends butt welded without any problems. I have one sitting in the garage right now. A full floater should be just as reliable.

-Jon

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Just so you all realize, this axle he is talking about is custom made by Extreme Axle Sales in New York. They use weld on spindles that stock front Dana 60 hubs/rotors fit on. So, the make up of this axle would be just like a front axle, but uses a double splined axle shaft with one end fitting into the diff side gears and one end fitting into a drive flange. I believe the drive flange is held in the hub by a large snap ring just like drive flanges (or lockout hubs) are held in a Dana 44 front hub. What I think he found as a problem is that the double splined axle shafts want to sit offset in the spindle bore. I assume the shaft can be pulled straight enough to get the drive flange on, but then there is tension at the side gear and the drive flange, and consequently, the rotor is hard to turn. I'm really interested in what the final outcome is, so keep us informed. Jeff

Its in Phoneix at Blake machine being realligned right now

Its in Phoneix at Blake machine being realligned right now

Would they be able to machine D60 FF spindles for 35 spline? I've got a stock FF 30 spline I want to upgrade, and I'm having a hard time finding a shop with a big enough lathe.

Back