• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 slipping?

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes, when I brake hard and then try to accelerate again, the engine revs a little before the tranny actually catches and moves forward. Fluid level seems good. What could be the culprit. 132k on the ticker.

will

good question; sometimes i get this too... mostly only when i turn on the car for the first time in a day when it was cold (er then usual for AZ) at night. it'll do it for a bit the first time i accelerate good but it doesnt seem to do it for the rest of the day unless i let it sit in the driveway from 2 to 10 and then drive it again.

im not trying to jack ur thread; but i thought this would be the most appropriate place to put this question rather then start another very similar thread at the same time.

DeftwillP said:
Sometimes, when I brake hard and then try to accelerate again, the engine revs a little before the tranny actually catches and moves forward. Fluid level seems good. What could be the culprit. 132k on the ticker.

will
Check the brake switch, one section controls the tranny.

This appears to be a common problem with aw4's. There is about two threads a month on it. I've been following them, cuz mine does the same thing.. but none of the listed fixes have fixed mine yet.

The common one is drop the pan, change the screen and fluid, run it a few miles, change the fluid again, and maybe a third time. For some people, this seems to fix the problem. On my jeep it fixes it for three or four days. No one has come up with a good answer on this yet.

-C

Back