• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified 01 XJ

DaffyXJ

NAXJA Member #929
Posted a couple of questions in advanced Fab before starting, but it really wasn't all that advanced of an effort so I'll link the pics here.
This is my 01 on 38's and the completion of the cage. Still a bit of gusseting to do and some storage areas to put in.
I have had the mastercrafts in the last two years, so I took the old fronts and put them in the rear.
Rock sliders are 2x4 3/16th box.
Plated the frame rails with 1/8th x 3 inch plate. tied the A/B pillars to the frame. D down bars are also tied to the bumper/framerail. Actually got the interior to fit in again.
Thought some might enjoy a few pics instead of questions and guesses at answers.

Derik

http://www.xjsrule.com/Daffy/index1.html

wow that thing is figgen awesome! you have done alot. i have welded in a modified 81 cj roll bar in back of mine but i cannot finish it b/c i cannot weld or bend metal so i am hoping to fine someone to help finish it next summer. how do you like the mastercraft seats for road driving? they say racing only why not road use? i hope you did not pay full price for that thing b/c thas alot of modifying for what was a pretty expensive 01 xj. nice work. nice pics.

Thanks it has been a lot of work. I bought it used late in 02. Unfortunately its not a road vehicle anymore. I stopped daily driving after the 6.5 inch lift went on. I did have the mastercraft seats and rusty's single bar, which retains the stock belts, and the mastercrafts were great for driving around.
Only down side to the mastercrafts is the bracket you have to add to use the stock sliders, makes the seats about an inch higher. AN issue for taller folks and head room.

I do have rusty's adjustable coil spacers installed. They are dialed all the way down. They added just short of 2 inches with no adjustment. I'm on 38's now and just ramped it last night, hit a 910 on a 27 degree ramp with full stuff in the rear and still enough room to turn the fronts. 41 inches vertical travel.
The adjustable spacers added about 2 inches to the bump stop tower which really helps guide the springs back in after flexing.

DaffyXJ said:
Thanks it has been a lot of work. I bought it used late in 02. Unfortunately its not a road vehicle anymore. I stopped daily driving after the 6.5 inch lift went on. I did have the mastercraft seats and rusty's single bar, which retains the stock belts, and the mastercrafts were great for driving around.
Only down side to the mastercrafts is the bracket you have to add to use the stock sliders, makes the seats about an inch higher. AN issue for taller folks and head room.

I do have rusty's adjustable coil spacers installed. They are dialed all the way down. They added just short of 2 inches with no adjustment. I'm on 38's now and just ramped it last night, hit a 910 on a 27 degree ramp with full stuff in the rear and still enough room to turn the fronts. 41 inches vertical travel.
The adjustable spacers added about 2 inches to the bump stop tower which really helps guide the springs back in after flexing.

What long arms are on there? I can not tell... RockKrawler?

Rusty's 6.5 inch long arms. Actually still have his 6.5 inch rear leak packs too. They are just over 2 years old and flex out real well. Sagged a bit in the rear as to be expected. Changed the bushings in the front last nov, about due for a new set.
Originally installed when I had the D-30 still, no issues when I went to the D-44 front.
I really like the adjustability of this long arm set up. The frame mounting is difficult though.
Note: Saw on here where someone jam nutted the jack screws on the long arm. Don't place a Jam nut on the long arm jack screws, they are meant to rotate as you flex the suspension.

i plan on doing a long arm this summer and going to 5.5". using RE front coils or adding 2" spacer to my 3.5" RE coils and using RE long arms. then i am going to change the leafs in the back. should i use the RE long arms or use the rustys? i am currently running rustys uca's and lca's and htey ride nicely but so did my RE lca's in my other xj.

Back