• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finally got a D44 for the MJ :)

Jeff in VA

<---respect
The bad: it's an XJ 44, with 3.07's and LSD, and a leaking seal

The good: the nice folks at the U-pull only charged me $35.99 for it :laugh3:

The needed: 4.56's to match the '30, new spring perches/shock mounts, new seals, and a locker.....
Jeff

p.s. anyone here running an XJ 44 on an MJ? How'd you rig up the e-brake cable?

D44_2.jpg

Jeff in VA said:
The bad: it's an XJ 44, with 3.07's and LSD, and a leaking seal

The good: the nice folks at the U-pull only charged me $35.99 for it :laugh3:

The needed: 4.56's to match the '30, new spring perches/shock mounts, new seals, and a locker.....
Jeff

p.s. anyone here running an XJ 44 on an MJ? How'd you rig up the e-brake cable?

D44_2.jpg

Good find!!!
I tried the opposite... running an MJ 44 in an XJ: Long story short, I gave up on hooking up the cables.

I have another stock 100k MJ 44 (3.07 but open) which came out of my 89 Metric Ton and ran fine when I pulled it. I had plans to put in my XJ... Wanna trade e-brake cables, or (if you are keeping it spring-under) whole axles?

I left the cables there (they'da charged me $7 each for them if I didn't take them off LOL). I'm not sure about SUA/SOA yet......how stupid does an MJ look SOA with only 31's on it:dunno: My spring packs are shot, and I was thinking about replacing those (with an AAL for a couple inches of lift) and spacing the front to match. But, OTOH, now would be the optimal time to go SOA.
I'll drop you a PM.
Jeff

The best deal going for spring perches is the Mopar Performance Catalog. They sell a pair of extremely heavy duty perches (heavier than OEM XJ or MJ) for a ridiculous price -- something like $15. When I ordered a pair, both the parts manager and I looked at the photo (it showed two) and looked at the price, and said "That's gotta be the price for one side, better order two."

So I ordered two, they arrived, we opened the first box, and out fell ... two. So I got two pairs for less than most of the aftermarket vendors want for one pair.

It won't work.....ship it to me and i'll double yer money :laugh3: ..good find, those things are rare as chicken lips in this part of the country.

BrettM said:
I once had an XJ d35 in my MJ. The MJ cables hooked right up.... what's different on the 44?

Seems like (my IIRC lobe is slow right now) the MJ has the cable sheath retainer more centered on the C/L of the bed... one bracket holds both cables. Thinking about it now, I bet the XJ cables would hook right up to the MJ... maybe at the extreme 'forward' end of the adjustment range.

The XJ (at least my 89 had) has two seperate retainer brackets, one on either side of the driveshaft tunnel. Again IIRC there wasn't enough free play on the cable ends to connect to the "T" bracket. I tried extending the linkage "T" with a piece of allthread and a "turnbuckle" (coupler with opposing threads) but then the angle created by the horizontal separation of the retainer brackets was too obtuse (picture a bow string drawn part way) That's when I gave up and laid my bet on the Park pawl and a chock block.

Back