• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix hard start

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
My 1990 MJ 4.0 has been starting hard. It always took a while to start, which I thought was because of it being a renix. With it getting colder its taking a lot longer. My TB is clean, TPS is adjusted. What else to look at?

Mine is starting noticeably longer now that winter is here, my battery is kind of marginal. Some of it is how fast the starter turns over.
One quick way to test, is hook up a set of jumpers and use two batteries, if it starts noticeably quicker, the battery could be questionable.
I've found putting the biggest quality battery in the tray, that clears the radiator hose and doesn't hit the hood latch mech. helps. I fab my own holddown.
Battery volts is only part of it, the only real way to test a battery is with a load tester and then again with a hydrometer (after it's been sitting over night).

Back