• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easiest way to access the cavity in the rear quarter panel below the fuel door?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ. This morning I went into my garage and noticed a puddle of water dripping from the rear driver side fender flare. After a bit of investigation, it looks as if my tire pushed up against the fender, which rippled through and tore about an inch of metal seam open.

I pulled out the rubber gromet and about half a quart of water flooded down on top of me. I had planned to just blow it out with some compressed air, and silicon the seam shut. However I stuck my finger in empty cavaity, and there is about an inch of wet mud laying across the bottom.

So what is the easiest way for me to access this panel to clean and reseal? If I remove all the panels on the driver side cargo area, pull up the carpet, etc, will I be able to get in there? Or will I have to have to cut a chunk of it out, and then reweld a new piece in?

90Pioneer said:
So what is the easiest way for me to access this panel to clean and reseal? If I remove all the panels on the driver side cargo area, pull up the carpet, etc, will I be able to get in there? Or will I have to have to cut a chunk of it out, and then reweld a new piece in?

it is an open hole behind the body plastic

i keep my spare fireworks one oneside and pot on the otherside...

XJ_ranger said:
it is an open hole behind the body plastic

i keep my spare fireworks one oneside and pot on the otherside...

cool........if you lift up the gear indicator panal thats a good place to store stuff too. hahah j/k

How much access will I have if I remove the tail light? Enough to stick my hand in? Will taking apart the cargo area lead me to this space?

It's MUCH better to remove the interior plastic trim panel to access the rear quarter behind the wheel well. While you CAN reach it thru the tail lite opening, it's tight, and you cannot get in all the way (unless you are an octopus.)

Back