• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS adjustment proceedure????

WVridgerunner

NAXJA Forum User
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a new member of this site. I have a 87 XJ and have put a new TPS on, I "eyeballed" the placement of the old unit. I don't have the preformance that should be there, no overdrive when on the road, but when you slow down at a coast it changes to OD.
My question is what is the procedure to adjust the TPS, from bolting it on the throttle body,no wires hooked yet.
AS if you are replacing it?

Thank you all for the great site for the XJ's.
WVridgerunner

A digital voltmeter is required to successfully complete the adjustment of the TPS. The DRB II or an equivalent scan tool can also be used to adjust the TPS. Refer to the scan tools' manual for adjustment procedure.

Do not disconnect the TPS electrical connector; instead, insert the voltmeter test leads into
the back-side of the electrical connector. When inserting the test leads, make sure that the
wires and harnesses remain undamaged.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Find the Four-way TPS connector and insert the black lead of the voltmeter into the back side of
terminal (D). Insert the red lead of the voltmeter into the back side of terminal (A). Make sure that the
throttle plate is completely closed against the throttle stop. Note the voltage reading of the voltmeter
as it is connected across these two terminals, this reading is the input voltage.

3. Remove the red lead of the voltmeter from the back side of terminal (A) and reinstall it into the back
side of terminal (B). Make sure that the throttle plate is completely closed against the throttle stop.
Note the voltage reading of the voltmeter as it is connected across terminals (B) and (D), this reading
is the output voltage.

4. Divide the output voltage reading by the input voltage reading. The ratio should be between .825 and
.835 (.830 optimum).

5. If the voltage ratio is not within this range, adjustments can be made using the two mounting screws.
To make large adjustments, loosen the bottom mounting screw and pivot the sensor. To make small
adjustments, loosen the top mounting screw and pivot the sensor.

6. Disconnect the voltmeter, and tighten the mounting screws securely.

Can anyone extend these instructions to include the auto transmission sensor that's attached to the "main" TPS but goes the other way, voltage wise please?

As long as you've done one, you've done both--they're just opposite ends of the adjustment (use terminal (C) and 0.165 to 0.175 optimal 0.170 instead of the values given above for the TCU side).

Back