• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

damn gremlins......

kawijames

NAXJA Forum User
so the wiring for the ignition looks like a rat got a hold of it on my 84, so this brings me to my newest question... looking through posts on MSD 6al boxes found nothing really useful. what color SHOULD my signal wire on the distributor be? I'm thinking really hard about using a msd for a standalone ingnition( get rid of the ford ign. module.also what color Should the wire be for the igniton on to coil/ module?

this is my 84 beater with the 2.5 t-4 not bad for a jeep that went from dead and ready to be buried to street legal for less that $500 including the cost of the jeep!

Don't know what the color is (my 89 manual won't help on the 84) but why would you put a $200 ignition in a $500 Jeep?? The MSD will do NOTHING that the stock ignition won't do! Just fix/replace the stock stuff.

kawijames said:
so the wiring for the ignition looks like a rat got a hold of it on my 84, so this brings me to my newest question... looking through posts on MSD 6al boxes found nothing really useful. what color SHOULD my signal wire on the distributor be? I'm thinking really hard about using a msd for a standalone ingnition( get rid of the ford ign. module.also what color Should the wire be for the igniton on to coil/ module?

this is my 84 beater with the 2.5 t-4 not bad for a jeep that went from dead and ready to be buried to street legal for less that $500 including the cost of the jeep!
There is no spark signal from the distributor, the pickup/sensor in it is the Cam position sensor (CKP), the trigger pulse comes from the ECU.
It is a combination of inputs from the CKP, CPS, MAT, MAP,CTS, TBS and o2 sensors.
The MSD in no better that your stock system.

?? i appreciate the help guys. maybe i forgot to say the 84 is carb'd. no sensors with the exception of cts and o2. the carb is from a 78 f-150 with the 4.9. ignition module is standard ford stuff(has motorcraft stamp) and has a vacuum advance. the ecu is not attached to the jeep at all.

once again thanks for the input!!!!

i twisted my local jeep dealers arm and kicked his shins and was told that it is the orange wire for using a MSD as a standalone.( ford duraspark setup!!)

the best reason for having a MSD? adjustable rev limiter for those of us who have less than thoughtful friends and family! also if you yank the rpm module out the jeep will never start. talk about anti theft!

Back