• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

learn mode

XJAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
sorry about this, but i searched and nothing came up so, how do you put the computer in "learn mode"
o yeah, its a 91 4.0 HO

Disconnect the battery and reconnect. I heard somewhere it takes awhile for some computer componenets to drain down and completely discharge.

If it looks like this it's a Renix.

mana.jpg

If you have a 91 and a HO at that, it's not a RENIX.

That said, 91 was a transition year -- be certain of nothin'.

langer1 said:
If it looks like this it's a Renix.

mana.jpg
Hmmm..really?
That looks a lot like my 95 HO did before I did the wj manifold swap.

K

so anyway, if i dont have a renix, how do put it in learn mode
and corbinafly, i think ur right, my 89 looks different from my 91

XJAnthony said:
so anyway, if i dont have a renix, how do put it in learn mode
and corbinafly, i think ur right, my 89 looks different from my 91
If it had a learn mode, it would be in learn mode after you disconnect the battery.
If it's not renix then it's OBD-I and also don't have learn mode.

Last edited:
To clarify some things:

91 model year was the first year of Chrysler system HO XJs. Renix injection was discontinued in 90 when 91 model year XJs were built and sold.

The picture above is not a Renix XJ motor. The throttle body is an HO TB, easily distinguished by its square base with 4 bolts vs. the Renix unit which has a triangular base, 3 bolts and does not have the "pipe" where the air tube clamps to. The Renix TB is flat-topped. The Renix TB has an adjustabe (carb style) throttle stop on the firewall side. The renix computer is also inside the cab not underhood. The picture is an earlier HO.

I thought the OBD1 should store information about desired engine operation after warmed up and in closed loop mode as long as are no problems causing error codes. If there is a problem, the computer will store the code information until reset or the comp determines the problem is no longer present. The renix uses real time data to run the engine but does not store data or any error codes after shut-down. Its not something you need to worry about really unless the computer isin't getting good information and is throwing codes. Whats the problem anyway?

Last edited:
Back