• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalls at start up

thecozmo65

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my new problem is at start up, usualy when it has been run previously that day but not always. The fuel pump will come on and charge up it will start but will die immediatly. It will eventially start but sometimes it will take as few as 2 trys or as many as 10+. I just put in new injectors, tested, and determined that it isnt them. I have new plugs and I tested the wires. I checked the fuel pressure and I believe it was right, around 31# at idle. So what am I looking at. I havent done anything with the fuel pump besides take out the resistor and it is the original pump but it runs fine even when the motor wont stay running. Its a 90 with a 4.0 and nearly everything sensor wise under the hood is new, nearly.

Coil?

I had an Accel coil in the XJ a while back, and it would do the same thing that you are describing. Seemed like it would do it in the morning, but not later in the day. I'd start it to warm it up, take three steps, dead.

Just another avenue to check, good luck.

It really sounds like it's flooding when warm, have you checked your MAT and coolent temp sensors. Did this trouble start after you changed injectors, are you sure their not to large.

I had a Crank Position Sensor go intermitant and it illuded me until my buddy who was the service manager at the local Jeep dealer suggested I replace it out of his experiance. Worked.

langer1 said:
It really sounds like it's flooding when warm, have you checked your MAT and coolent temp sensors. Did this trouble start after you changed injectors, are you sure their not to large.

I may not have been clear about that. It usualy wont do it first thing in the morning, but it usualy will do it in the afternoon, having driven it to work, but having sat parked from 6:30am to 6pm. I havent replaced the coolant sensor. Thats the one at the rear of the head right. And though Im sure I know right where it is and just what it is. MAT? Is that the one on the intake rearwerd of the TB? Neither of those have been replaced.

thecozmo65 said:
I may not have been clear about that. It usualy wont do it first thing in the morning, but it usualy will do it in the afternoon, having driven it to work, but having sat parked from 6:30am to 6pm. I havent replaced the coolant sensor. Thats the one at the rear of the head right. And though Im sure I know right where it is and just what it is. MAT? Is that the one on the intake rearwerd of the TB? Neither of those have been replaced.
Ok I though it could be temperature related from your first post.
So if it sets for at least 12 hours, it hard to start?
If so then were looking at the check valve built into the fuel pump is allowing the fuel to slowly run back to the tank.

Im not saying it happens every day but yes thats when it seems to happen most often. Sometimes it will do it first thing in the morning and it even did it once while I was driving right after I started it. Yes it all started after I changed the injectors but I dont think that they are too big. They were the ones that advance had in the comp. I think though Im gonna get a good set of bosch 19lb mustang injectors so I know I have something good.

thecozmo65 said:
Im not saying it happens every day but yes thats when it seems to happen most often. Sometimes it will do it first thing in the morning and it even did it once while I was driving right after I started it. Yes it all started after I changed the injectors but I dont think that they are too big. They were the ones that advance had in the comp. I think though Im gonna get a good set of bosch 19lb mustang injectors so I know I have something good.
Mustang injectors are usless on a stock engine, but it's your money.

langer1 said:
Mustang injectors are usless on a stock engine, but it's your money.
Five-O motorsports has a set of 6 bosch for less than I paid for 4 of the Advance Auto crap ones. I have read a little on them and supposedly they are of a more efficiant design.

MachineMan said:
Check the ballast resistor near the airbox.
It has already been removed.

thecozmo65 said:
Five-O motorsports has a set of 6 bosch for less than I paid for 4 of the Advance Auto crap ones. I have read a little on them and supposedly they are of a more efficiant design.

It has already been removed.
There pulling you leg sorta, Your fuel mixture is controlled by your ECU, if there is any differance it will be very slight if at all as long a your other engine parts are stock.

Back