• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/2 ton ford axle ?'s

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I got a guy that has hpd44/ford 9" out of a 79 f150 67" full width. The hpd44 has radius arms w/ 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. My question is are the 1/2ton axles a good swap to run 37-38 tires? The 9" is 31 spline I've heard differences between the thickness of tubes between 150/250's but didn't know for sure with this year. I was really lookin' for the 3/4 8-lug stuff...but a deal came along that looks really sweat. With this year radius arms...are they a pain to hack off...i'm gonna run leafs in the front. If you of you ford guys could help me out I was be greatly appreciated.

You are going to probably want alloy shafts up front. I run 37's with that setup and broke stock shafts all day long before i went alloy.

You might want to get a nodular iron carrier for the 9". I busted the bearing caps of within the first half hour with the stock carrier.

To expand on that, the 78-79 1/2 ton Ford dana 44 has cast radius arm mounts. From what remember, the axle tube isn't even continuous beneath them. Either retube or keep looking for the 250 stuff or a pre78 F-100/150 Dana 44 with the welded on mounts.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Trailer queen or road warrior?
Reason I ask is that if it doesn't see many road miles then your camber isn't really an issue.
Then there's really no reason to have to hack off the radius arm mounts.
A little welding/machining can turn those huge mounts into nice solid leaf perches.

you mean caster, not camber

You could get and older drum brake front for next to nothing and swap the discs from the one you have now onto it or go chevy flat top knuckles.

yeah i wantin' to keep it on the road to get me back and forth from trails. I think i'm gonna try to keep lookin' for the 250's or maybe pony up some more cash for the f350 stuff

mmmkay325 said:
yeah i wantin' to keep it on the road to get me back and forth from trails. I think i'm gonna try to keep lookin' for the 250's or maybe pony up some more cash for the f350 stuff

350 huh? expect the price to increase 3 times what you are looking at right now...

dmorxj said:
you mean caster, not camber

You could get and older drum brake front for next to nothing and swap the discs from the one you have now onto it or go chevy flat top knuckles.

i know this is an old post, but how hard is it, and what do you need to swap chevy disk outers onto an old drum brake hp44?

I will apologize ahead for placing this in the wrong spot but to: mmmkay325 I am unable to PM you back as your mailbox is full!

Thanks!

Dave

dmorxj said:
from inside out: chevy knuckles, spindles, brake brackets, calipers, ford hubs and bearings, either lockout.

if i wanted to run 3/4 ton chevy disks in front, could i just use the chevy calipers, brackets, spindles, bearings, and hubs/lockouts if i have no intention of runing crossover?

i think i read something about how you can have the chevy spindles and brackets re drilled to the stud pattern on the ford knuckles. so would thayt work??? or do i have to swap the knuckles too???

i found one axle complete L/o to L/O for 200 bones, but it is drum, and another for 100 but it has no outers at all, or shafts... both have full radius arm set up, with track bars... which should i go with considering i want to rum 35's adn 3/4 ton outers???

Back