• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering

Dreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I did search and did not really find the answer i was looking for. I have a '90 XJ and the power steering is out. I replaced the pump and drained the system. Problem is it still does not work. Does the system have to be primed or anything like that?????? Any suggestions?????

Whoa! You drove the XJ all weekend without power assist? You must be built like the Hulk! Have someone turn the steering wheel with the engine running while you watch the p/s pump to make sure the belt isn't slipping. You don't hear any noises?

OK, let's reason this out--new pump, new fluid, plenty of time (running time) to "burp" the system of air. Assuming the hoses are connected, that only leaves one element with uncertain health--THE STEERING BOX.

On GM-type integral power assist steering gear boxes, there is a spool valve that must slide when torque is applied to the steering wheel shaft. This spool valve then ports PS fluid to the proper side of the power pistol, which pushes on the ball nut, which in turn rotates the sector shaft, which is connected to the pitman arm.

I would bet your spool valve is stuck with some crap (dirt, metal chips, etc.) that is keeping it from porting the fluid correctly. (I say this assuming you don't feel and "tight" or "binding" spots in the steering, just a lack of power assist.)

If my assumption is correct, it's new steering gear time. Best/cheapest bet here is the boneyard. Rebuilding a Saginaw (GM) box is out of the league of most of us without special tools.

Back