• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what the heck is it?

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
hey all, so I traced a manifold vacuum line, that turns into a vaccuum tube and goes along the firefall all the way around to the front bumper. It plugs into a canister looking thing inside the bumper. It's not the charcoal canister, anyone know what it is? Mine is very loose. By the way, it's a 93 4.0 auto
thanks!

Kuasimodem said:
It's a vacuum bottle that stores manifold vacuum which is used to operate your heater control valves. The duct valves are vacuum operated doors.
It also provides a source of vacuum for the servo for the cruise control.

The small one for the heater controls probably popped off. On mine it's black and looks a lot like a wire (maybe 1/8" diameter) (it's much smaller than the 3/8" vacuum line going in).
Pretty common to break the mounting tab on the canister, I have mine held in with a couple of large Zip ties.

Also, if that is not hooked up and you are running your A/C, if you have to accelerate heavily, your a/c vents will close and your windshield defroster vents open. Found this out in Arizona in July!:wierd:

Back