• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Rear Fender Trim

88XJScott

NAXJA Forum User
Finished up my rear fender trim a couple weekends ago. I pushed the axle back and inch to keep my 35's out of the front of the wheel wells, but this caused them to rub hardcore on the piece that hangs down. I also swapped out my rusty's spring for some Rubicon Express ones and shackles...

Before with Rusty's Springs
rustyssprings03.jpg

The cut has been made and the springs have been swapped.
rearfendertrim01.jpg

Ever wonder whats behind that corner?
rearfendertrim03.jpg

Welded up and painted... Still need to swap the original fenders back on cause these look like crap...
rearfendertrim05.jpg

Passenger Side
rearfendertrim06.jpg

A better look at the bottom
rearfendertrim07.jpg

My overall impressions:
Good mod, took me about 4 hours get the whole thing done. Tools I used, angle grinder with cut-off wheel/flapper disk, sawzall, MIG welder, JB Weld to seal up the parts that I didnt fully weld. So not too hard, I had some sheetmetal experience, just make sure you make a spot weld and then move a couple inches so you dont warp your panels. Also, a tight fit means less chance of holes when you grind everything down smooth.

Your shackles are on backwards.

Son of a bitch, makes sense... I can build a long arm suspension but I cant figure out which way the shackles go..Thanks dude

nice and clean. How much overall lift now? looks like you actually lost a little lift in the rear swapping out those rustys springs for the rubicon express ones.

After trimming the rear like you did, you only need to add some taillight/side protection to keep the sheet metal looking good. I plan to cut the bottoms of my rear quarter out of mine too. It's mangled and just in the way. I got the THOR stuff and it turned out nice. www.thor4x4.com

thorside2.JPG

Yeah I lost about 1.5 - 2" in the rear, which is what I wanted because I had way to much lift for the tires I was running... The RE springs ride WAAAAY better because the shackle isnt locked forward like the rusty's springs did. I like that tube, I plan on including some corner protection with the rear bumper I am making in December....

I used a sawzall and then I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutter disc to get anything that was to difficult with the sawzall...

Back