• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will runnin a power steering dry ruin it?

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I ran my steering pump dry for about 100 miles when I blew the seal on the gear box .. I also ran aobut half a quart of atf fluid through it to get off the trail..
Im pretty sure I burned it up along with the gear box but Im not sure if I should replace it..

anyone ever run the pump that long with no fluid??
Im pretty sure the bearings and seals need the fluid for lubrication but im not certain...

opinions...

Last edited:
I ran one dry for a couple hours on the freeway a couple years back. After I fixed the resevoir and filled it back up it worked fine for another year or so then died, though it could have been on it's way out anyway since it was about 15 years old.

Depends on the pump. I ran my full size Blazer dry for a few months once upon a time long ago and it ran good for years after. OTOH I ran a Olds dry for a hundred or so miles and blew all kinds of seals and stuff within a day or so of fixing the leak and refilling.

Sarge

mine was fine, it used to overheat and boil over all the time and pop off the return line. its ok now after been run dry ~5 or sotimes

Mothertrucker said:
why not what? i was asking for my own knowledge if ATF was ok to be put in a power steering pump

not sure if the viscosity is real good but from what I ve seen it will work.. not optimal oviously but it will do it a pinch..

so back to my steering issue..
I replaced my steering gear seals and it doesnt leak BUT now the turning is just like the pump is acting up..
I checked the the lines and the pump pushes out fluid nicely on the high side..seems to work fine..some noise but it works..
and the gear box flows fine through the high side and out the return to the pump.. ie not blocked
BUT the steering is hard to turn..Im not sure if its the box or the pump..... when I rebuilt the box the gears turned ..some resisitance but it did turn..and the pump seems to work ..I put fluid in the pump and it spits it out the high side pretty steady so thats not blocked.. .. and the box has flow through it..
So basically im confused
the pump seems to work right ..
and the box has flow through it
but the steering is just like I have no power steering........

Im thinking of jacking up the front axle with the power steering disabled and turning the steering with no resistance to check the torque it takes to turn the tires..

anyone got any ideas??

Last edited:
The type of fluid will depend on the pressure your pump is running at... Fords usually use ATF, but opperate at lower pressures, and they are loud... I strictlly use 'power steering fluid' - No worries then... Don't trash a PS pump just because your too lazy to go get the correct fluid...

And NEVER use ATF on a Honda - Don't ask...

-Will

VegasAnthony said:
not sure if the viscosity is real good but from what I ve seen it will work.. not optimal oviously but it will do it a pinch..

so back to my steering issue..
I replaced my steering gear seals and it doesnt leak BUT now the turning is just like the pump is acting up..
I checked the the lines and the pump pushes out fluid nicely on the high side..seems to work fine..some noise but it works..
and the gear box flows fine through the high side and out the return to the pump.. ie not blocked
BUT the steering is hard to turn..Im not sure if its the box or the pump..... when I rebuilt the box the gears turned ..some resisitance but it did turn..and the pump seems to work ..I put fluid in the pump and it spits it out the high side pretty steady so thats not blocked.. .. and the box has flow through it..
So basically im confused
the pump seems to work right ..
and the box has flow through it
but the steering is just like I have no power steering........

Im thinking of jacking up the front axle with the power steering disabled and turning the steering with no resistance to check the torque it takes to turn the tires..

anyone got any ideas??

Try it without the motor on (no hydraulic assist) with the tires jacked up (no resistance) unless theres a big problem and something is binding, there won't be much resistance and you probably won't learn anything. If you ran the box dry or replaced it, it probably has air trapped and thats why its acting up. You should try to push the air out- jack the front end up so theres no tire resistance and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times with the motor running.

Back