• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler install, before or after radiator?

99xjache

NAXJA Member #1289
I just bought a tru-cool, low pressure drop, stacked plate cooler. I have a couple of freinds that say to install it before the radiator heat transfer cooler, and others that say to install after.
From what I have read in previous posts, most people completely bypass the radiator. What would you guys recomended for a non-DD, onroad till you get to the trail kind of application?
I will be towing, (2300# max).

I live Socal so there are long hills to climb to get to any real off roading.

Thank you for any info that will help me get this thing ready for the JV run.

Aaron

3rd option:
Instead of

When i put mine in it seemed logical to put it before the radiator in order to lower radiator temps too. But i contacted B&M and they said to install it after the radiator . Thats what i did, tranny never overheated again but i also installed an electric fan in front of it too.

Another vote for after the radiator or bypass (I bypassed when installing a new radiator)

I also put a Perma Cool spin-on filter between the cooler and transmission... I should have got the one with the temp gage.

Putting it before the radiator is almost like getting a bigger radiator, it may cool the engine a couple degrees, but the coolant going to the tranny is still the same temperature as the fluid going through the engine

Back