• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone tried these OEM splash guards?

iroc86

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to install a set of OEM splash guards on my Cherokee, but I want to be sure that I'm buying the right thing. They seem to be a generic style, adaptable to either the front or rear of the XJs. I've also seen them advertised for Grands, Liberties, and even Durangos (sans the Jeep logo, of course). Screws are used for attachment, right? It's Mopar p/n 82203703.

splash.jpg

I had them on my XJ for a while. They held up pretty good for street driving and yes they attach with little screws. They are made for ZJs but they match the XJ's lines pretty well. If you do any heavy muddin stay away but otherwise theyre worth the $12.
My .02,
Collin

I have these splash guards on my 2000 XJ and I really like them. They work good for street driving and for keeping the snow and dirt off the body. They were easy to install and did not take much time. Only part I found hard was getting them straight. That part number is correct too.

Alex

816520_8_full.jpg

2000XJSPORT said:
I have these splash guards on my 2000 XJ and I really like them. They work good for street driving and for keeping the snow and dirt off the body. They were easy to install and did not take much time. Only part I found hard was getting them straight. That part number is correct too.

Alex

816520_8_full.jpg
Hmm..... I'd try one... if I had a quarter panel to attach it to :D
Why splash guards? Kind of curious to know what benefit you see behind having them on.

I have them on my '97, I'm pretty sure it came from the factory with them. they keep the everyday mud off the sides pretty well- depends on how fast you're spinning the tires- I was told by a tire store guy It was Illegal to take them off , but I'm pretty sure that's BS-- They might rub on larger tires though.

PS- that jeep logo is wearing off on mine. know of any naked lady ones I could swap in?

I had them for a while front and rear and took them off after about a year. They made a minor difference in keeping the body clean, but I don't think they were worth the money. Also, if you do get them, use speed clips on the body plastic or you'll find some OEM-splash-guard screws in your tires after a while.

Kejtar said:
Why splash guards? Kind of curious to know what benefit you see behind having them on.

Some people value clean vehicles.

Some people value law compliance in their locality.

A good example:
UHP.gif

In the state of utah you must have mud flaps (or body) covering up to the 50% level of your tire (the center of your axle tubes...unless you're running portals ;)). The curious part... Just like Utah liquor laws it's kinda backward and only half assed. If your vehicle came with over 50% of the tire exposed (such as pickup trucks) from the factory you're still good so I've heard :confused:.

I will be making quick disconnect mud flaps specifically for drives through the state of Utah. One of the above was enough for me!

Damn, I guess the guy at the tire store was telling the truth after all...

so what do you guys with larger tires do? make larger mudflaps, or just take your chances?

Well, that depends on the person and where you are. In California mud flap laws are ignored (they do exist, although not as hardcore as some other states).

Even with my 3" and 31's I'm in violation for the state of Utah (the vehicle I was driving above wasn't mine); when I put the 33's on I will make sure that I have a quick release mud flap at the ready before I go to Moab. If you run technical trails you'll just destroy them ;)

Cool, that's just what I wanted to confirm! Looks like I'll be picking up a set of these in the near future.

GSequoia hit the nail on the head with his first answer regarding my interest in mud flaps. I bought my Cherokee from a junkyard and reconstructed it, spending far too much money along the way (unavoidable with Jeeps, it seems). After installing 31s with lugs, I'm seeing the possibility of road debris nicking up my brand new paint job. I'm not that concerned about interference with obstacles or ground clearance, as I don't plan on wheeling this one (yet...). That's what the Wrangler is for ;).

Surprisingly, my residence of Pennsylvania doesn't require mud flaps unless the GVWR is 11,000 lbs. or more. This is unusual, since it seems PA has restrictions on literally everything related to vehicle modifications. There's probably some obscure law tucked away that speaks otherwise.

GSequoia, that's really interesting that a Utah cop cited you according to their vehicle code, even though you live in California. Do they expect everyone to make up a set of quick-disconnect mud flaps?

iroc86 said:
GSequoia hit the nail on the head with his first answer regarding my interest in mud flaps. I bought my Cherokee from a junkyard and reconstructed it, spending far too much money along the way (unavoidable with Jeeps, it seems). After installing 31s with lugs, I'm seeing the possibility of road debris nicking up my brand new paint job.
In all honesty if that's your major concern, I think I'd skip it as I get more nicks from other vehicles throwing rocks with their tires than anything. I have a civic for a DD with the mud guard thingies (the dealer mounted them on and didn't want to take them off :( )and still I got little nicks from road debrie being tossed at me by other vehicles.
GSequoia, that's really interesting that a Utah cop cited you according to their vehicle code, even though you live in California.
Well he didn't get cited just warned, but that's not even the funniest part of the story. He got warned about mudflaps while driving someone elses jeep, and that week that was the least of his worries :D Search the Moab forum for references to Sequoia and transfer case :D:D

Wasnt one of the shops selling big assed detachable flaps, Summit ? maybe, the place the started with the rocksliders back in 97 or so. I'd never bother, I'd rip em off the first time I drove from the driveway to the shed.

Turns out my buddy with an '04 Grand has the same style mud flaps, so I yanked one off to test fit it on my XJ :). I have mixed feelings after seeing it in person... they're a lot thinner (and I think tackier) than they looked in the photos. It would serve the purpose, though.

Haha, I know I'm being too fussy for just a Jeep. I guess that having a lifted Wrangler with 33s as a daily driver for three years has made me appreciate how much a normal(ish) vehicle can be... I want to have something that looks nice, too. Maybe I can find some little aftermarket stubs that I can hack up and make work. Hmm...

iroc86 said:
...that's really interesting that a Utah cop cited you according to their vehicle code, even though you live in California. Do they expect everyone to make up a set of quick-disconnect mud flaps?
Yes, actually. When you drive through another state your vehicle is expected to meet their vehicle codes/laws/statutes whether you were aware of possible violations or not. The only official exception I know of is West Virginia and Liberty Renegades. The Renegade's roof-mounted lights are too high (72") in that state (42" limit), and therefore illegal even to own. The state will not issue inspection numbers for them. You can drive one through W.V. without incident as long as you don't turn them on. If one were to move there, the lights would have to be removed.
EDIT--I guess I worded that "illegal even to own" bit harshly. I suppose one could legally own one, but it would be illegal for its tires to touch a public road.

Back