• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to shock boot or not to shock boot

I wouln't run them either.

if motocross bikes and enduro bikes dont need boots on either the front fork tubes or the rear shock, then you dont need shock boots either

If you live anyplace where salt gets used on the roads during wintertime, then "Boot Up" Cowboy.

Salt tends to get into places where dirt never had a clue to go, and then it just fouls up shock seals and such- I just finished a 4.5" lift, and you wouldn't believe the oily "sauce" that bled out from the trashed seals when I pulled those old junkers out. they never got bent or twisted, so i can only assume that the salt ate my stuff up.

Boots are cheap money, and can't possibly hurt anything to put on. Besides, they have mucho "Bling" factor, and can only glean compliments for pennies on the dollar.... LOL!

George2 said:
If you live anyplace where salt gets used on the roads during wintertime, then "Boot Up" Cowboy.

Salt tends to get into places where dirt never had a clue to go, and then it just fouls up shock seals and such- I just finished a 4.5" lift, and you wouldn't believe the oily "sauce" that bled out from the trashed seals when I pulled those old junkers out. they never got bent or twisted, so i can only assume that the salt ate my stuff up.

Boots are cheap money, and can't possibly hurt anything to put on. Besides, they have mucho "Bling" factor, and can only glean compliments for pennies on the dollar.... LOL!
So, the salty, slushy water can't break the impermiable barrier that is the shock boot?:rolleyes:

Save your money.

Okie Terry said:
So, the salty, slushy water can't break the impermiable barrier that is the shock boot?:rolleyes:

Save your money.

Yeah, that breather hole in the boot has a force shield that protects it against elements.

I remember this topic was actually one of my first posts here on naxja. Oh boy I got it good. Hahahaha
You guys also forgot to tell him about the 5 extra hp you get from pink boots.

This is coming from a guy who lives in the salt use capitol of the world, way upstate NY, the only time I wold ever put shock boots on a shock is if the shock mounted with the shaft down, ie 5150's, RE mono-tubes, etc. That way if anything does get in them, it will be down at the bottom of the boot, no where near the seals.

I have been running a set of DT3000 for the past two years, now while the shock body is starting to rust, the shaft is still shiny new all four shocks still hold pressure, no leaks or failed shocks. Here's a little tip, skip the boots and just hose off your jeep about once a week or twice a week if you live in the salt area. And your shocks should last you a while.

EDIT: you live in Texas, the closest your jeep comes to salt is the salt that falls from your McD's fries.

I got mine for free. I'll leave 'em on in hopes that they'll make my ProCraps crap out sooner so I'll have an excuse to replace 'em.

williamk53 said:
I got mine for free. I'll leave 'em on in hopes that they'll make my ProCraps crap out sooner so I'll have an excuse to replace 'em.
What makes them so crappy, that you want them to go out so you can spend more money on shocks?
I fail to see the logic.
If they don't dampen shock anymore, then they already crapped out.

It is okay to have shock boots on before Memorial Day but after memorial day then be sure to take them off.

Whoa! Jeez Mr. Okie Terry, you don't have to get so defensive! I was kinda half joking there...I bought my ProComps on a package deal with the boots and a free steering damper for real cheap. I needed shocks for a lift and was on a budget at the time. For your edification, they do still dampen well (too well), as a matter of fact, they ride a lot rougher than I'd like and I can now afford some new shocks but have difficulty with trashing things that still work. If you would like to buy them, I would be happy to sell them to you.

Back