• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got My Work Cut Out For Me For A While...

Hemenechi

NAXJA Forum User
well here are my floors where it is really bad. what do you guys think would be the easyist and least ugliest way to cure my cancer?

i was thinking of just cuting it out and welding in a new pice of metal. but there area also replacement floor pans for xjs now too..

well heres what you were waiting for..
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

cut it out and use aluminum pvc coated trim coil and pop rivets. seal it with liquid nails and then paint it. thats the cheapest if it doesnt look that good to ya then youre gonna have to bust out the welder

Last edited:
my friend said he would weld for me. so im all set with using a welder. i just dont want to do it and find out a few years later i need to do it again.

so the next best thing is to just cut it out and weld in a new piece? but what about how its near my bolts for my seat? should i remove them and put new ones or just fix the rust all the way up to the bolts?

87xjvabeach said:
cut it out and use aluminum pvc coated trim coil and pop rivets. seal it with liquid nails and then paint it. thats the cheapest if it doesnt look that good to ya then youre gonna have to bust out the welder
Rivet and glue it? Sounds extremely safe to me.... Not. Go with a welder.

Welding is best of course if you can do it. But I've had good results also with sheet metal and self drilling sheet metal screws. I would not use aluminum (corrodes faster than you'd expect), or pop rivets. I don't know about the glue either. I've seen some sealants that seem to promote corrosion where they trap moisture. My goop of choice is roofing tar.

If you are going to weld, inspect the whole floor very carefully on both sides for early signs of rot, and treat it well afterward. In the past, I've done extensive, laborious welding repairs, only to lose the effort a couple of years later when the surrounding metal rots away. I've actually had longer lasting results from well installed screwed-on patches than from welds, if the bad metal is cut away, the patches well overlapped and sealed with tar.

If the vehicle is being restored, and you expect to maintain it well for a long time, weld it. If it's a beater, spare yourself the effort unless you're looking for an excuse to play with the welder.

its not really being restored. its just going to be for dail driver and some wheeling. like jeep jamboree and easy trails. but i just dont want my passanger to be barefoot and slip and get tetanus lol, im gunna show my friend the pics tonight and see if hes game for welding in new pices. ill post pics later of the inside getting done too.

Back