• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Falling Window...Ever fix, em?!!!

zjdxj

NAXJA Forum User
Window fell into door, still on tracks, motor still runs, nothing moves, cable broke......do i need an all new motor, regulator, or what, thanks!

It would help to state what year XJ. The window mechanisms aren't all the same.

This happened with my wife's 2000 last year. The "snake" in the riser mechanism bought the farm, and in the new style doors (starting I'm not certain when) is NOT available as a separate part. So I had to buy the complete unit, including motor, even though the old motor was fine. Cost me about $150 IIRC, and took maybe 20 minutes to install. (Yeah, that price was my discounted price for the part -- not the total cost of having it repaired at the dealership.)

I was more than a bit aggravated, because for the '88 I can buy just the "snake" as a separate part for about $20. Oh, well ...

year is 98, thanks that seems to be all i am hearing: that i have to purchase the whole thing, been looking on ebay but no luck so far...

I had this same problem with my '90 laredo. One day I rolled it all the way down and it wouldn't come back up. I pulled back the door panel and lifted the window as I was pushing the "up" button and it came up just fine. Since I was too cheap to fix it permantly, I only rolled it down to within an inch from the bottom so I wouldn't have to pull the door panel back again.

Back