• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any tail light tricks?

Check with Farmer Matt, he has some great tail lights but is selling his last few and has stopped making them. He has some blanks still for sale that you just need to cut and add the lights. There are other manufacturers of heavy duty tail lights, but Matt's are the best looking and DOT approved.

Troy

I keep 2 sets of stock tail lights - 1 good pair, 1 bashed pair.

It only takes a couple of minutes to swap to my already broken tail lights before I head out for a weekend of rock crawling and then swap back to the good ones when I get back home.

Just did mine in like 2 hours, and I spent maybe $40 worth of lights and grommets. It looks like they'll be pretty unbreakable, but who knows. Either way, it'll be extremely cheap to replace them if they do break... maybe $7 a light.

taillight.jpg

taillight2.jpg

Big Red said:
Check with Farmer Matt, he has some great tail lights but is selling his last few and has stopped making them. He has some blanks still for sale that you just need to cut and add the lights. There are other manufacturers of heavy duty tail lights, but Matt's are the best looking and DOT approved.

Troy
2X

Big Red said:

Troy
Just curious, but did he actually get DOT approval? I thought that was a pretty expensive ordeal. AFAIK, they need to be reflective and have a side marker, then it's up to the individual state laws. I have the older Full Size XJ boxes (two 4" round lights) and have been right in front of Hwy Patrol several times and either they didn't care, or didn't think they were illegal, which is fine by me! :)

LoL, i didn't realize FarmerMattwas still using my rig as his display. I can vouch for matt and matt's design. Good and stout. But, as already stated, he's clearing house. Wound up buying more land, so, get em if ya can.

Tylor

burby777 said:
Just curious, but did he actually get DOT approval? I thought that was a pretty expensive ordeal. AFAIK, they need to be reflective and have a side marker, then it's up to the individual state laws. I have the older Full Size XJ boxes (two 4" round lights) and have been right in front of Hwy Patrol several times and either they didn't care, or didn't think they were illegal, which is fine by me! :)
They have side markers. The lights themselves should be DOT. He just makes the housings.

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (a division of the DOT), only rearward-facing lights and side-mounted rear reflectors are required. And kid4lyf is correct in that the lamps themselves must be DOT registered, not the housings themselves--unless they are integrated like factory ones, in which case the whole assembly must be DOT approved. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...csr/fmcsrruletext.asp?section=393.11#SubpartB

Back