• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing diff fluid

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I attempted this for the first time on my '00 XJ w/ the 8.25 over the weekend. For the most part, it was easier than expected. However, I was curious as to how you guys get the mounting flange on the diff. housing clean of all the old sealer?

The cover was no problem. I scraped what I could easily get w/ a regular razor blade window scraper and got the rest off w/ a wire brush wheel in my drill. 5 minutes max.

I then attempted scraping the housing itself and since the flange was not machined perfectly smooth, I could hardly get anything out of the ever so small ridges that exist. I ended up again using my drill/wire brush wheel, making sure it spun in the proper direction to throw all debris out away from the diff and cleaned it in 5 minutes. Some crap got inside and I cleaned what I could by spraying brake cleaner on the gear while turning one wheel (rear was elevated). I'm pretty sure I got everything out but there is just a bit of uneasyness clunking around in my head. Do I have anything to worry about and can you guys provide some pointers for when I do the 30 in the front????

It's sure tough to see inside that little hole and I ended up filling it right to the bottom. Is it absolutely necessary to suction some out to get 1/2 below the bottom of the hole?

Thanks guys.

Brian

Exactaly what I have done to every truck I have ever had and never had a problem.

I'd keep the brake cleaner out of the D30. There are axle oil seals just on the outside of the carrier. I've heard some folks say that brake cleaner is not too friendly to rubber seals, and those seals are a bit of a pain to replace.

Mark

Thanks guys.

I would have left the brake cleaner out of the equation entirely if I could have been a bit steadier w/ the drill. I had taken a paper towel (not the best choice, which I now realize, but I had them under the XJ w/ me) and covered the gears to try and prevent crap from getting on them. I made the slighest slip w/ the drill and the wire wheel grabbed and shredded the paper towel and threw some pieces on to the gears. There's not a lot of room to work under there! Had I used something the wheel couldn't grip, I probably wouldn't have had to use the spray at all. Oh well, live and learn.

Where are the seals in the 8.25? I was careful to keep the spray from going all over the place as I know it doesn't mix well w/ rubber.

Thanks.

Brian

I believe that on a rear axle the seals are on the ends near the bearings. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark

WD-40 and a lint free rag. About all WD-40 is good for, you won't have to worry about it making any bolts loose in there either. :rolleyes:

Never saw it damage rubber or plastic either. As a matter of fact WD-40 is a great label remover too, just like goo gone.

Mark

Back