• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case sounds like it is going to fall out!

Sting25

twitter.com/cmchadwick
OK I have been reading and reading so I know that if I searched for another 2 -3 weeks I would find something but I need help please.

I have a 1994 XJ 4.0 It runs great and everything seems perfect until you place it into 4wd. It seems to shift ok into 4 low and 4 high but as soon as you place any load on the system (slightly turn the wheel, hit a bump) it begins to make a violent slipping sound (sliiip-Clunk sliiiip-Clunk)and feels like the entire front end is coming off.

I had a friend slowly drive while I walked outside and the sound is for sure coming from the t-case.

I figure I need to get a different one and if so how do I know which np231's will just bolt in? I can find these in a junk yard?

I am trying to do this on a budget or would have just paid $900 for a new one.

Please advise.

Chris

Is this rebuild very hard? I have only replaced the rear main seal so far. (was my first car fix ever) It went well. What tools do I need for this? And how do I tell if its worth rebuilding or not?

Chris

I am also interested in any input that any one can give. Pictures of installs or web sites would be appreciated. Also the best place to get replacement chains and install gasket kits.

Ok I have been doing alot more reading on this...

Here is what I have found.

Master rebuild kit about $100
New Chain about $100

While your in there you may want to add

SYE kit $200-300
then new drive shaft $250

If you buy a new/remanufactured one with the SYE then your looking at around $750-1200 depending on gearing and options etc.. but you STILL NEED a drive shaft at $250

so I seems to me you save $600 or so doing it yourself...

I guess I am off to start ordering parts..
here are links of interest
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/rebuild/index.html
http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercaseappjeep.html#Cherokee
http://www.4xshaft.com/ (Read these are the best Drivetrains and there are SYE Drive train combos)
http://www.napaonline.com/ncerror/noserver.html (Chains $71)

Chris

Ok so as you can see by my previous post I am going to rebuild my t-case... But I still need to go find an extra one because my xj is my daily driver.

How do I know which years will just bolt on and work if I am looking at the junk yard or in the classifieds?

Chris

I believe that any HO NP231 should work, as it would have the 23 spline shafts. Don't take my word for it though.

I have an NP231 I rebuilt but has never been in a vehicle. It has the heavy duty wide chain, new seals, sliders, along with a SYE like below

http://www.4x4getaways.com/oldmansye.htm

$500 plus shipping.

I would have to check the spline count.

But you can pull and rehab an NP231 fairly easy. The chain is most likely the biggest culprit, then change the sliders and seals and put it back together. Since I have done about a dozen, I can pull one, rehab it and have it back in the vehicle in a half day. That includes degreasing and replacing all the seals. Your times may vary. :laugh3:

Actualy I may have found one for $50 which allows me to rebuild mine and learn a few things...

How do I know how many splines I have without taking the t-case out?

Chris

old_man said:
I have an NP231 I rebuilt but has never been in a vehicle. It has the heavy duty wide chain, new seals, sliders, along with a SYE like below

http://www.4x4getaways.com/oldmansye.htm

$500 plus shipping.

I would have to check the spline count.

But you can pull and rehab an NP231 fairly easy. The chain is most likely the biggest culprit, then change the sliders and seals and put it back together. Since I have done about a dozen, I can pull one, rehab it and have it back in the vehicle in a half day. That includes degreasing and replacing all the seals. Your times may vary. :laugh3:

Nice write up on the T-case and driveshaft.

I was just offering incase you needed one and didn't want to do it yourself. This one has been upgraded with the wide chain and the sye. I built it for a spare and never used it. You would have had to get a different drive shaft anyway. I have an NP231 sitting that I pulled out of a vehicle. It was in good running order and would not need any work. I can check the spline count. At the moment I cant remember when the tcases changed from the old style slip yoke to the new style sealed output. This is one of the earlier models.

The spline count on the transfer case has to match the spline count on the tranny. There are two different counts. Do a web search and you should be able to narrow down which yours is, depending on your tranny and year. Good luck

old_man said:
The spline count on the transfer case has to match the spline count on the tranny. There are two different counts. Do a web search and you should be able to narrow down which yours is, depending on your tranny and year. Good luck

they offered both 21 and 23 spline count in 1990...I'm betting afterwards it was strictly 23.

old_man said:
I was just offering incase you needed one and didn't want to do it yourself. This one has been upgraded with the wide chain and the sye. I built it for a spare and never used it. You would have had to get a different drive shaft anyway. I have an NP231 sitting that I pulled out of a vehicle. It was in good running order and would not need any work. I can check the spline count. At the moment I cant remember when the tcases changed from the old style slip yoke to the new style sealed output. This is one of the earlier models.

And I thank you fo your offer, I still may need it! From all my searching I think I have a 23 spline..... But I dont think I will won't really know till its sitting on my garage floor. I just hope the one I am getting bolts on so I have some time to rebuild the one I have. I am having a lot of fun learning all this stuff.

In the last week I have done
1. Rear main seal replacement
2. re 3.5" superflex lift
3. T-case drop kit

Next is replace t-case and rebuild the one I have with a bigger chain and SYE.

Not so bad for having never worked on an engine before.. kudos to me

It wouldnt have been possible without everyone here helping

Chris

Back