• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44

ok im making a new thread because i tried the ideas people had for me but they did not work... I have a dana 44 rear end and im installig used 4:88 gears and a detroi locker...since the gears were already int he houseing, i did not touch the pinion gear... when i took everything out, it seemed like there was to much resistence on the pinion when spun, i losseened the pinion nut and it would spin like it was suppose to, when i torques the botl back down (200 ft/lbs) it has some resistence but not as much as before... What am i doing wrong?

the pinion should have some resistance when turned. It will not/should not spin freely with the chunk out of the housing. Yukon recomends for new pinion setups that 14-19 INCH POUNDS of force, and for used pinion setups that 6-9 INCH POUNDS, be required to turn the pinion. You will need a needle or digital type torque wrench to determine these numbers.

The pinion bearing pre-load on a D44 is set with shims,so the nut has an actual torque value.On diffs that use a "crush sleeve",there is no actual torque value,you just tighten till you achieve the pre-load value.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Ring Gear Diameter 8.5"
  • 10 3/8" X 24 RH Threaded Bolts
  • PINION Diameter 1.376", 26 Spline CASE: 3.73 & Down, 3.92 Numerically Higher

8620 Material Heat-Treated

19 Spline Rear Axles on Jeep to 1970

30 Spline Front & Rear Axles

Assembly Specifications:
  • Cover Bolt Ft. Lbs. 30-40
  • Pinion Brg. Preload In. Lbs 20-40
  • Pinion Nut Ft. Lbs. 200-220
  • Ring Gear Backlash .005-.008
  • Ring Gear Bolt to case Ft. Lbs. 45-60
  • Side Brg. Caps Ft. Lbs. 70-90
what are you getting for preload on the pinion. You say if feels better but that has no bearing on what is good or bad we need numbers. torque the pinion nut down to specified torque and check preload (rember it's inch lbs and cannot be read with a clicker type torque wrench) if it's too tight add shims too loose remove shims.

how new are the bearings if the gears are 4.88's they are aftermarket how long ago were they installed remove a few thou from the shims re torque and see where that get's ya.

ccflexj said:
right now its now its abotu 40 inch pounds of force to turn it...soo yea
Theres no such animal as "about",have you measured it with a real torque wrench(mine goes from 0-60 IN/LBS).

bj-666 said:
how new are the bearings if the gears are 4.88's they are aftermarket how long ago were they installed remove a few thou from the shims re torque and see where that get's ya.
Not Remove,ADD shims to reduce pre-load.

slip of the tounge/finger sorry add shims:laugh3:
gotta keep everyone on there toes

seal shouldnt' be adding enough resistance to mess with any of the readings you get.

You dont even put the seal in until after all settings have been established.Here you go again w/ the about stuff.

Back