• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky Evap...Am I inhaling freon?

BeJay1981

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 01 to an AC shop today and they determined a leak in the evap commin out the condensation line. They recharged it and we will see how long it lasts. Does this mean that when the AC is running I have it blowing directly in my fat face cause its so muggy in FL, I am breathing in some of the freon leaking out.

Would this explain the constant headache? Or is it 2 jobs, school, and the anger of the "great deal" I got on this thing a couple weeks ago isn't a deal at all if im gonna have to put a thousand into getting it fixed.

I'm feeling like I should take the for sale sign off my 93 in the driveway and move it to the 01 if this is how things are gonna start off.

Freon (R12) is not poisonous in it's normal state. It IS heavier than air, and tends to settle in low places and displace air (oxygen). For you to suffer from headaches from the leaking of freon from your evaporator, several things would have to take place:

1. the leak would have to be large, as in hissing steadily
2. the XJ would have to be sealed up for long periods, thereby not allowing replacement air to enter the vehicle.
3. you would have to stay inside the vehicle for long periods while it's sealed.

Non of those conditions are likely to occur, so I suspect your headaches are from other less sinister causes.

A lot of people are sensitive/allergic to the refrigerant oils. They put stuff in there to keep if from getting too thick, often synthetic esters.
Schools still out on R-134r. They said R-12 was harmless for years, but that turned out to be questionable, whne lifetime refer techs. started showing a whole lot of heart problems.
I don't imagine a few ounces is gona hurt you. But many people have a pretty strong reaction to the oils.

If you need to know about the chemicals you are breathing, google "R-134a MSDS" and read about the health effects. Reasonably safe, but not clean air.
Then google the oil used, either "PAG oil msds" or "POE oil msds" and you will get the info.

Another classic example of Dupont and others playing down the side affects and studying it to death (results will be in in ten to twenty years). I've been working with refrigerants, most of my adult life. Word does get around.
A whole lot of people have adverse affects from synthetic esters, everything from Asama to eczema. Asama usually isn't fatal unless you stop breathing all together. Eczema isn't usually fatal, but it can kind of get weird when all thin skin peels off of your hands and you suddenly realize, much of the oil is a vapor and the inside of your lungs is probably peeling off also.
I wouldn't freak, unless you are often or have extended exposure. Or unless you are one of the unlucky ones, that are allergic to many synthetics.
It said, one of the side affects is eye irritation, when was the last time something that irritated your eyes didn't irritate your sinuses. Irritated sinuses often cause head aches. If it's gonna irritate your eyes it's gonna irritate your lungs also.
Headaches, sinus and lung irritation are all part of being a refer tech. in extreme cases the constant irritation, provides a susceptibility to infections.
The question of what the stuff does to heart valves, hasn't been answered, but seems to be statisitcally verifiable.

Last edited:
Back