• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Interchangeability?

jpcomanche

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new AX 15 for my '90 MJ. The one that's currently in it is out of a 93 Wrangler, so I know that works (with a couple of modifications). I'm wondering how new can I go? What was the first year for the external slave? I don't want to spend a whole lot on this so if I end up with a newer tranny and don't want to switch to the external slave, is it as simple as swapping the bellhousings to keep my current clutch setup?

jpcomanche said:
I need a new AX 15 for my '90 MJ. The one that's currently in it is out of a 93 Wrangler, so I know that works (with a couple of modifications). I'm wondering how new can I go? What was the first year for the external slave? I don't want to spend a whole lot on this so if I end up with a newer tranny and don't want to switch to the external slave, is it as simple as swapping the bellhousings to keep my current clutch setup?
I think '94 was the first year for the external slave. I hear the was a mixture of external and internal slave between 94-96. It isn't just a bell housing swap. The front bearing retainer (can't remember the exact name) has a different snout on them between the internal and external slave cylinders. I think 89 was the first year for the AX-15.
Tom

Back