• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Bolt Removal

BCParker

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to remove the front passenger seat from my 1997 4 door to get at the carpet. first three bolts came out easy, but the last one is turning a ten minute project into a pain.

This bolt would be the back, door side bolt into the floor. it's rusted and slightly stripped now. I soaked it with PB last night and again before I started.

Is there something I'm missing here - does this just unscrew like a normal bolt?

thanks in advance.

B

BCParker said:
I'm trying to remove the front passenger seat from my 1997 4 door to get at the carpet. first three bolts came out easy, but the last one is turning a ten minute project into a pain.

This bolt would be the back, door side bolt into the floor. it's rusted and slightly stripped now. I soaked it with PB last night and again before I started.

Is there something I'm missing here - does this just unscrew like a normal bolt?

thanks in advance.

B

My seats have studs in the floor and nuts, and I have had no issues with removing any of them. right hand thread, 14mm come right out..

1992 and 1991

XJ_ranger said:
My seats have studs in the floor and nuts, and I have had no issues with removing any of them. right hand thread, 14mm come right out..

1992 and 1991

the rear next to the center consol is a stud and nut- that came right off- 5/8 I think I used, but the three others are kind of a bolt/washer combo- 13mm. can't budge it - I stripped it pretty good now - If there was room in there to get some vice grips on it I think I could get it, but no luck there, so I guess I get to drill :D

Last edited:
I know I saw a thread on here a while ago about someone having the same problem. - If an owner of a 97+ has experience with this please chime in.

on the left is the stud Ranger speaks of,
DSCN1136.jpg

But the other side looks like this. Is drilling my only option here?- (this is before I stripped it)

DSCN1137.jpg

I'd like to save the carpet (if I can get the PB and Rust out), so heat is out of the question. any other Ideas?

thanks

-B

did you try the PB from the bottom? I suspect it would take forever to soak in to the theads from the top since that washer makes kind of a seal. Also use a six-point socket if you aren't already. Less likely to tear off the corners.

Good luck.

Spudboy

Spudboy said:
did you try the PB from the bottom? I suspect it would take forever to soak in to the theads from the top since that washer makes kind of a seal. Also use a six-point socket if you aren't already. Less likely to tear off the corners.

Good luck.

Spudboy

Are you saying that stud caked in crap sticking down under the jeep is the bottom of that bolt?- that would explain a lot.

edit: this?
DSCN1140.jpg

:doh:
thanks for the reply.

B

Last edited:
Update: Snapped It-

After soaking top and bottom with pb again and letting sit for a 2 hours, tried again. - snapped my 1/4 in socket adapter- I should have just stopped then, but I went out and got a 13mm socket in 3/8 in drive, and tried again. snapped the bolt.

DSCN1145.jpg

what to do now?- If I had a back seat it would have plenty of leg room :D

the good news is there doesn't seem to be any rust on the floor, it was just that bolt getting heated up by the cat.

I'll search around- I know broken bolt removal has been covered many many times here.- BUT....

Anyone know how to get PB and rust out of carpet?

thanks for help

-B

Last edited:
Go to Ace Hardware and ask for something called an easy out. If you have a drill and use it slowly, I find these work nicely. Your next option is to drill it out and re-tap the hole to make threads.

Back