• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculined Side Of Jeep!

Hemenechi

NAXJA Forum User
i think it came out pretty good. just a little spots where it did not come out so well near the top. but hey im only human.

100_2340.jpg

100_2342.jpg

100_2338.jpg

100_2341.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, but one thing...

Next time, use masking tape to give you a nice clean line across the top. You carefully peel the tape off while the Herculiner is still wet and you should end up with a nice crisp line.

Also, when I do mine, I'm going to go up over the wheels wells too, following the body line.

Last edited:
Kuasimodem said:
Next time, use masking tape to give you a nice clean line across the top. You carefully peel the tape off while the Herculiner is still wet and you should end up with a nice crisp line.

you'd think that would be the case... but in my experience (i did the rockers on mine too), the herculiner seeped under the tape in many spots. maybe get REALLY good tape?

3M Blue Painter's Tape is the best for masking. It bonds well enough to make nice crisp lines without seaping if rubbed on well with your hand, while still peeling off without leaving a sicky mess.

Yeah, I sound like a commercial but the stuff works great I used it to mask off my floor when I herculined it.

question for those who have done this: does this stuff go on over bondo. i know bondo is crap but here is the scoop. the prior owner covered (thats right covered over not eliminate) some rust and dents on a door. i discovered the bondo when eliminating some cancer. i was wondering if i should remove all the bondo before i undertake the herculiner endevour or can i just herc over the bondo clay.

thanks
stewie

i did use 3M blue maskers tape and yes the herculiner did go under the tape. im just going to buy a little bottle of paint thats the color of my jeep and just do some touch up and make it look a little better.

glad you guys liked it i never really did it to a truck that is nice before. i did it to my 4runner on the inside and it came out good too. with out even doing the prep right.

609868_10_full.jpg

I hate that you cant delete your own message after reading the thread again. :)

LazarusMJ said:
3M Blue Painter's Tape is the best for masking. It bonds well enough to make nice crisp lines without seaping if rubbed on well with your hand, while still peeling off without leaving a sicky mess.

Yeah, I sound like a commercial but the stuff works great I used it to mask off my floor when I herculined it.

That's what I picked up. You know it's some good stuff when it's $10 a roll :D

Ill stick with the free green 3m tape i get at the bodyshop much better for these uses its meant to be used with clears and clears solvents eat.

100_2342.jpg

Mine looked like that. So I resprayed it & after it dried a little I ran a razor knife down the edge of the tape. It came off alot smoother the 2nd time. JIM.

For you guys who have had it on there for a while, How does it look after months of being on there? I had it on an old CJ I had and it looked like crap. All faded and dry looking. Just wondering if there is a better product out now or if the end result will still be the same? thanks

I just used the spray on stuff from Wal-mart. It is alot harder to get clean, but when it's clean it doesn't look bad. Mine has been on for 2+ years. JIM.

I have discovered that the shinier the paint you put the tape on, the easier it is to get underneath it.

Now, here is a thought: If you apply some carwax under the tape area so it is as flat as possible, the Herc might not be able go get underneath and all you have to do is buff out the wax after you finish. Of course, you have to apply tape twice.

Mine looked like that. So I resprayed it & after it dried a little I ran a razor knife down the edge of the tape. It came off alot smoother the 2nd time. JIM.

im just going to buy a touch up paint at the store to make it look better.

guess your luck. my jeep is going to slowly take place of my 4runner since the 4runner will never pass inspection again. :( like i said if the undercoating really does start to annoy me cuz its not a strait line. ill just buy some touch up paint and redo it. right now its dark and raining so i cant do any more work on my jeep
lastara

Back